HELP. Ammonia in tap water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nixon83

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've recently set up a tank for my little boy as he loves fish. I followed all the instructions and left it the correct amount of time and got a black moor today. It was fine for an hour or so then went and sat on the bottom of the tank. I read a few threads and came to the conclusion of ammonia or nitrites, so i got a pack of test strips and tested it. Everything is ok accept the ammonia is sky high. I did a 50% water change to get almost same result. So I tested just the water and its in my tap water. I'm in UK and have used tap safe (which was recommended by my fish retailer), but its not bringing the ammonia levels down. What can I do? What's the best product to solve this?

You left the water out? You need a dechlorinator that you put in the water everyone will recommend Seachem Prime which I use as well which is awesome.. You cant just let water sit out and everything be good, it doesnt work that way.

and the test strips are unanimously wrong, you need to get a liquid test kit like API Master kit

:welcome: to AA! (y)

First thing I recommend is dump the test strips and get a liquid test kit like the API test master ... much more accurate and reliable.

When you say you followed all the instructions, I assume you mean what you were told by your LFS? Put water, let it run for a day or two and then add fish?
If so ... that's the typical incorrect instructions many LFS's ... on either side of the pond ... give customers. You are in for multiple PWC's to keep ammonia below 0.25ppm until your tank correctly cycles, meaning you establish the beneficial bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle ... see the link below.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

How large it the tank the Blackmoor is in? Goldfish have VERY large bio-loads for their size thus will produce TONS of ammonia. That with what's in your tap is a recipe for disaster. Fancy Goldfish like moors need 20 gal (approx 80Liters) for the first fish,
10 gal (2.5L) for each additional. Not to mention some fancy goldfish can get up to 6-8 inches in length.

First get yourself a liquid test kit, and if you can find it ... members prefer Seachem Prime water-conditioner/de-chlorinator. It locks ammo for 24+ hrs into a less toxic form ... believe me it is highly recommended. Tests will still show ammo but it'll be safer for the fish and still be available for BB to consume.

For now establishing the BB is number one priority and doing multiple PWC's to keep ammo below 0.25ppm is the key.

Good luck!

I got seachem prime also recommended by my pet store (not the one that sold me the stuff that doesn't work). Bob already seems a lot happier and has been quite active today much to the delight of my son. Thanks.

+1 to JColon. Read the link he gave you; there's also one in my signature called "What is cycling." I don't know how large your tank is but if it's anything less than 20 gals you may have a losing battle on your hands since the amount of waste (ammonia) goldfish produce is massive.

Prime is very concentrated and not recomend under 20 gal. And maybe more, as its a 1ml/ 10 gal. Pwc on a 20 gal its like 2-3 gal.?? Impossible to dose safely!

For small tank there is Chlor exchange from nutrafin that can treat 800 gal. For 3,49$, wirh a 1 drop/gal. Easy and cheap! Only remove chlorine and chloramine with no side effect, right to the point!

Ammonia in tap water when you have a establish tank its not a big deal! Its suppose to be ok, if not you can fishless cycling easy and safe and add fish after!!

My opinion!

Prime is very concentrated and not recomend under 20 gal. And maybe more, as its a 1ml/ 10 gal. Pwc on a 20 gal its like 2-3 gal.?? Impossible to dose safely!

For small tank there is Chlor exchange from nutrafin that can treat 800 gal. For 3,49$, wirh a 1 drop/gal. Easy and cheap! Only remove chlorine and chloramine with no side effect, right to the point!

I don't think that's true. Two drops of Prime per gallon according to the smaller bottle's dosage. I also confirmed this online. Plus while cycling it's OK to add more to detox ammonia, nitrite, etc between water changes.

Two drop per gal. Then the chlor exchange of nutrafin and the chlor guard of seachem are more concentrated and less expensive! They are at 1 drop per gal.

librarygirl said:
I don't think that's true. Two drops of Prime per gallon according to the smaller bottle's dosage. I also confirmed this online. Plus while cycling it's OK to add more to detox ammonia, nitrite, etc between water changes.

As long as you nerver reach 10 times the dose, then it starts to be dangerous, and if you put double dose 4-5 days in a row and it becomes dangerous! Better PWC!!

My opinion

Back
Top Bottom