Help ASAP 2 Oranda's!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becki273

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey! I'm new to all of this including fish keeping!

Right I have a problem.....

My partner kept banging on that he wanted a goldfish (I got a dog he wants a fish, fair deal yea?)

So for Christmas I bought him a starter tank that came with everything I could possibly need for a cold water tank at bargain price! (B&M Bargains £12.99) Bought a few extra ornaments, plants, gravel etc.

Anyway he loved it and couldn't wait until we got some fish for it! A friend of mine had already told me that I needed to run the tank for a while before getting the fish so that's what I did, then we called to our local pet shop (Pets At Home) we want to get an idea of what we wanted more than anything. Spoke to a woman there & explained what tank we had and by this point that it had been running for 9 days she told us we could have 2 Small Oranda's but would have to look at upgrading the size of tank a little bit in 18 months.

Fab! Got 2 stunning baby Orandas - one red, white & black and one orange & black. My god what beautiful fish! I have never been too fussy about fish or really seen the fascination until I got these beauty's home!

So let them settle in and that was that, very comical fish and very active! After a week noticed our crystal clear water was cloudy as and we couldn't see the back of the tank! (The tank is apparently just under 14l) quickly looked online and was HORRIFIED!

I've done a lot of reading up since on these gorgeous fish and realise that we were had by the store! We're going to get a bigger tank today as now one of them is trying to wedge herself in a corner and stays there most of the day! The one were picking up is a 60l as we just haven't won the lottery to get a 200l tank that's been advised!

Obviously we need to get the fish out of that coffin and into the bigger tank ASAP, but we obviously will need to cycle it. Being naive I put the two fish straight into my tank whilst it was still in cycle and they've survived could I put them into the bigger one during cycle? Surely it would be better than leaving them in that tiny box? We used goldfish safe liquid in our small tank and were going to the same in the big tank - water purifier. I'm fine with water changes as we're doing them daily at 20% at the moment with the little tank. Any advice would be fantastic!

Oh the Orandas by guesstimating are about 3-4 weeks old??? Their about 1-1/5 inch long??

Thank you in advance Becki

Becki273 said:
Hey! I'm new to all of this including fish keeping!

Right I have a problem.....

My partner kept banging on that he wanted a goldfish (I got a dog he wants a fish, fair deal yea?)

So for Christmas I bought him a starter tank that came with everything I could possibly need for a cold water tank at bargain price! (B&M Bargains £12.99) Bought a few extra ornaments, plants, gravel etc.

Anyway he loved it and couldn't wait until we got some fish for it! A friend of mine had already told me that I needed to run the tank for a while before getting the fish so that's what I did, then we called to our local pet shop (Pets At Home) we want to get an idea of what we wanted more than anything. Spoke to a woman there & explained what tank we had and by this point that it had been running for 9 days she told us we could have 2 Small Oranda's but would have to look at upgrading the size of tank a little bit in 18 months.

Fab! Got 2 stunning baby Orandas - one red, white & black and one orange & black. My god what beautiful fish! I have never been too fussy about fish or really seen the fascination until I got these beauty's home!

So let them settle in and that was that, very comical fish and very active! After a week noticed our crystal clear water was cloudy as and we couldn't see the back of the tank! (The tank is apparently just under 14l) quickly looked online and was HORRIFIED!

I've done a lot of reading up since on these gorgeous fish and realise that we were had by the store! We're going to get a bigger tank today as now one of them is trying to wedge herself in a corner and stays there most of the day! The one were picking up is a 60l as we just haven't won the lottery to get a 200l tank that's been advised!

Obviously we need to get the fish out of that coffin and into the bigger tank ASAP, but we obviously will need to cycle it. Being naive I put the two fish straight into my tank whilst it was still in cycle and they've survived could I put them into the bigger one during cycle? Surely it would be better than leaving them in that tiny box? We used goldfish safe liquid in our small tank and were going to the same in the big tank - water purifier. I'm fine with water changes as we're doing them daily at 20% at the moment with the little tank. Any advice would be fantastic!

Oh the Orandas by guesstimating are about 3-4 weeks old??? Their about 1-1/5 inch long??

Thank you in advance Becki

Okay, you really need a 120 liter tank but for now 80 liters will do. 60 is a little small. You need to cycle the tank. You'll be doing a fish-in cycle which means 50% water changes daily with a good dechlorinator like prime.

Back
Top Bottom