help! basic care and co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
today i finally bought my first live plants ever, they were 2 moneywort bunches and one anacharis bunch. i added aqueon plant food to the tank. i just read an article saying that i shouldnt use ph buffers because they put unwanted phosphates (i think?) and thats bad for the plants. also because i use the buffer i cant use a co2 system. is this true? the reason i use the buffer is because my local water has very high ph (8.0ish) so i lowered it to help the fish. should i stop using the buffer and empty the tank and refill it so the buffer is gone?

and will using co2 lower my ph naturally so there will be no need for the buffer?

my tank specs:
10 gallon
2 13watt 6500k fpc

parameters:
not sure, can i use a saltwater test kit?

Seachem. Neutral Regulator
thats the buffer^

thanks,
joma

No that is not true. My local tap water PH is 8.0 - 7.8. I dose pressurized co2 to bring it to 6.8. However, when I am not running co2 there is no detrimental effects having the plants at 7.8 (on the other tanks of course).

Do you need to use a buffer? If you purchased the fish locally, then there is no need for it. But you imported them, then I don't see the harm to your plants.

Phosphate is good for the plants and is something that you want to dose. It will be part of that all in one fertilizer you picked up.

As for the saltwater kit, the only things you will not be testing is magnesium, and calcium. No need to test KH either unless your very picky.

i dont think the buffer even does anything now, i tested the water and was about 7.6-.8. i will stop using the buffer and will do a water change, hopefully getting whatever traces are left in the water. i hope to have a diy jello co2 hooked up sometime this week

Back
Top Bottom