HELP! Blue Oscar has growth on head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fast Eddie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a mature blue oscar that has developed a growth that looks like a huge white boil on his forehead. What is it and can it be cured? See attached picture. Please help!:confused:

Attachments

• IMG00107-20100729-1804.jpg
    IMG00107-20100729-1804.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 99
Welcome to the site :wave:. What size tank is he in? What are the parameters? What do you feed him? Btw, I've never heard of a blue oscar, imo it looks a little like a Jack Dempsey, but I'm not an expert in new world cichlids.

ya, what aquarium1 said is vital but i cant see it very well. Got any better pics? Also the pic is upside down and that is not a oscar. Oscar dont really come in blue. Looks like a SA/CA cichlid. I need a better pic period.

More details

Hi. You're right. Probably a Dempsey. It is a 75 gallon tank. I'll have to see if I can get a better picture using a different camera. All of the fish have been living in the tank and healthy for 3-5 years.

It could be hole in head disease that has gotten a secondary infection. I've seen this a few times with the larger cichlids. I had a jaguar (managuense) that survived it twice before I got him. Mind you, just hole in the head won't look infected, but I'm seriously thinking your guy has a secondary infection.

Hole in the Head by Adam Dagna of World Cichlids

Or it could be because he is a male (obvious because of the male head bump) he knocked it against something and it has gotten infected.

Either way, without a better pic it's hard to tell for sure, but I'm betting a serious infection has set it.

Last edited:
It could be hole in head disease that has gotten a secondary infection. I've seen this a few times with the larger cichlids. I had a jaguar (managuense) that survived it twice before I got him. Mind you, just hole in the head won't look infected, but I'm seriously thinking your guy has a secondary infection.

Hole in the Head by Adam Dagna of World Cichlids

Or it could be because he is a male (obvious because of the male head bump) he knocked it against something and it has gotten infected.

Either way, without a better pic it's hard to tell for sure, but I'm betting a serious infection has set it.

+1

Blue Oscar/Jack Demsey- HITH

Well, the marble sized boil popped. The fish is not acting differently, though. However, I will try the recommended HITH steps to see if that helps. Thanks for your advice, all.

Back
Top Bottom