Help! Brown spits that turn to pinholes on my plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DukeNukem713

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I'm having a problem. On some of my plants they have small brown spots (maybe a cm in diameter) that eventually turn to pinholes! Its been happening on my Sword (a couple weeks old) for a while and i got brand new beautiful plants 3 days ago and its happening to some of them too!

Now I did a little research and "it sounds like a textbook potassium deficite." I just started dosing Seachem Flourish (same day I got the new plants) this week but it hasnt prevented this from happening even to my new plants. I looked up Seachem Flourish online and it doesn't say it has potassium in it. I'm also going to get some liquid CO2 soon.

So my questions are 1) Am I correct in my assumption that this is a potassium deficit? It's happened to my sword and has started on my lillypads and annubis.

2) What is the simplest and cheapest way to fix this issue?

Liquid co2? You gonna freeze your tank?

It does sound like you've got a K deficiency. I would assume you've checked your nitrate level to eliminate a nitrogen deficiency? Adding K to the tank will fix it if that's what it is. If not, it won't hurt much, since it's pretty hard to over-dose K. Cheapest way is to order dry ferts. You can get Flourish Potassium, but you're paying at least as much as you'd pay for a pound of dry K, and you're getting a fraction of that with water added.

I don't use any flourish products except excel (I use other stuff), correct me if I'm wrong, but N P and K are sold separately aren't they? I think there is flourish for micros, excel for carbon, then N P K and Fe in separate bottles?

yeah i believe so. im getting excel for carbon dosing (didnt mean actual liquid CO2 haha)

its not flourish product its Seachem

Potassium (K) deficiency gives little pinholes. Nitrogen deficiency usually involves yellow new growth or yellowing of old growth. Phosphate can sometimes look like potassium as well.

Flourish is Seachem's line of ferts. It only has a pittance of macros though.

aqua_chem said:
Potassium (K) deficiency gives little pinholes. Nitrogen deficiency usually involves yellow new growth or yellowing of old growth. Phosphate can sometimes look like potassium as well.

Flourish is Seachem's line of ferts. It only has a pittance of macros though.

Yeah thays potassium its easy n algae wont benefit from it

Back
Top Bottom