Help buying plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyfelts

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have no clue what to get or what I need to plant them. Is regular fine gravel okay for plants and what are some plants that do NOT need a co2 pump or filter, I need something that can just grow in it's own happily! I have a 20 gallon freshwater tropical aquarium.

I bought some lily bulbs from walmart and they are growing like crazy! I have another plant I bought from my local pet shop and I'm not sure what it is. Looks like grass, but they are both doing great in my freshwater tank

I bought some lily bulbs from walmart and they are growing like crazy! I have another plant I bought from my local pet shop and I'm not sure what it is. Looks like grass, but they are both doing great in my freshwater tank
Do your plants also clear up the water

What type of lighting and bulbs do you have on your tank? Lighting determines the type of plants you can use but basically you could do Crypts in the substrate. There are tons of different species but you will need to put root tabs in the substrate to fertilize them as they are root feeders. Then you can do Java Ferns (all types), Anubia's (many types), and Bolbitus. All of these do best when tied onto driftwood or rocks. These are all simple low light tolerant plants that don't need special treatment BUT anytime you have plants it helps if you'd give them a dose of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive weekly after a WC to give them some nutrients. No CO2 is needed but liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel can be used if you would want to.

What type of lighting and bulbs do you have on your tank? Lighting determines the type of plants you can use but basically you could do Crypts in the substrate. There are tons of different species but you will need to put root tabs in the substrate to fertilize them as they are root feeders. Then you can do Java Ferns (all types), Anubia's (many types), and Bolbitus. All of these do best when tied onto driftwood or rocks. These are all simple low light tolerant plants that don't need special treatment BUT anytime you have plants it helps if you'd give them a dose of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive weekly after a WC to give them some nutrients. No CO2 is needed but liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel can be used if you would want to.
I have a single fluorescent bulb, and I have drift wood so could you maybe expand on what you believe would be the best plant, and would they clear the water up. Also would any of these hurt my fish?

Callylynn- Be careful of the grass plant- I've seen petsmart sell something called mondo grass which is not really an aquatic plant. And if it's dwarf hairgrass that stuff needs really high light and CO2 and fertilizers. Crypts need to be planted in the substrate with root tabs under them, java ferns and anubias need to be tied into a piece of wood or a rock. All of those plants would be good for your tank :) The plants probably won't magically clear up murky water, but they do absorb ammonia and nitrate, which will be beneficial to the health of your fish! :) If your water is not clear there is probably another underlying problem.

I have a single fluorescent bulb, and I have drift wood so could you maybe expand on what you believe would be the best plant, and would they clear the water up. Also would any of these hurt my fish?

You can only do low light tolerant plants with that light. So the plants I listed are pretty much your best choices but you might also be able to grow Water Sprite.

Plants don't hurt fish and actually help improve water quality.

What is wrong with your water that is need to clear up?

You can only do low light tolerant plants with that light. So the plants I listed are pretty much your best choices but you might also be able to grow Water Sprite. Plants don't hurt fish and actually help improve water quality. What is wrong with your water that is need to clear up?
it's just slightly cloudy, nothing insane it's just a little, not algae or anything

Cloudy water I being there, just do a couple of water changes. I got a dirt tank and now a month later is clear.

Yeah sounds like what I have, water changes help but I did add Purigen to my filter. It helps...

Is a water clarifying agent like carbon but ten times better.

Plus you can "recharge" it when it gets dirty by soaking it in a bleach/water mixture and then supposedly it works like new. I have some, but I haven't recharged it yet

Do you clean the glass? Reason being is bio-film which is in all tanks can make the tank look cloudy when in fact it's on the glass. If it is the water using 100% Polyfill in your filter will remove tiny detris from the water column. The dirtier the polyfill gets the finer the particles it will remove. Add Purgen along with Polyfill and you have an unbeatable combination. Plants won't help with cloudy water at all.

Yep I get a big bag at Walmart or our craft store when I need it and it last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom