Help choosing species for first tank please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PilotGav

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently cycling my 29 gallon tank (no live plants) and visited our LFS to see what species I like! If I list them, would anyone be kind enough to give me advice on which ones I should be careful of?

I only want 3 or maximum 4 species total, and like the idea of at least a couple of shoaling groups!

Thanks for any advice!

Fish I think I really want:
  • Zebra Danios
  • Cardinal Tetras
  • Turquoise Guppy
  • High Fin Rosey Barb

Fish I like:
  • Black Platy
  • Harlaquin rasbora
  • Giant Danios
  • Black Ruby Barbs
  • Tiger Barbs
  • Clown Loach
  • Tequila Tuxedo Guppies
  • Chocolate Sailfin Mollys

Note: I am taking this "hobby" very seriously, and will be paying attention to the tank. Testing water twice a week, regular water changes, and studying/playing with the fish daily!

Our water here is on the hard side. I don't know the exact PH yet because it's fluctuating with the fish-less cycle. We do get hard water stains easily.

Thanks again for any warnings, thoughts or anything else as I narrow down the list :)

Gavin

Last edited:
Clown loaches can get to around a foot. So that would be a no go in a 30 gallon. also in order to get a really nice feel and look from your tank try to mix bottom feeders with middle and top level swimmers so you have movement in each.
I can suggest Cory catfish as a nice schooling bottom feeder. They school better the more you have. I recommend 4 minimum.

Also IME zebra danios are a bit too energetic for my liking.

I'd also think about adding shrimp and snails. They have a low bioload and add more life to the aquarium. (And are very interesting )

Hey Gavin I would do this

6- rummynose tetra
6- cardinal tetra
6- glowlight tetra or glowlight danio
2- German Blue Ram

I would love that tank I have all those fish among others in a happy community

Just a word of caution. Only consider the rams after your aquarium is well established and stable. All the other sugestions were great imo.

Cichlid Kid said:
Just a word of caution. Only consider the rams after your aquarium is well established and stable. All the other sugestions were great imo.
I have to respectively disagree if they are coming from a fish farm or poor breeder then yes but I breed 3 species of rams gold, German blue, and Bolivian and mine are very hardy I would ship them to you and guarentee their health as long as they are in a cycled aquarium. I have often had to quickly set up a grow out tank for my fry throw a seeded filter on it and they have done fine. I am willing to ship within Canada but the only batch I have ready to go right now are goldens and golden blues (GBR Golden ram mix)

I would get 6 cardinal tetras, 2 male turquoise guppys, 4 females and a school of 6 panda corys.

Back
Top Bottom