Help!! Cloudy fish tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CSadley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to get rid of cloudiness in a freshwater fish tank?
I just bought a 55 gallon fish tank off of craigslist from someone. I let the tank go through a new cycle and its been three weeks and my tank is still really cloudy. I have 11 gold fish and two koi's I only feed them once a day and little amounts because they are "dirty" fish as what they say at pets mart. I have used the tablets and solution to get rid of the cloudiness and did the 25% water change twice a week. Still no change... does anyone have any idea? I feel like I am killing my fish even though none of them have died.... please love my fish:confused::(

That's a huge number of fish for your tank.
Have you tested the water?
Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle?
The cloudiness is probably a bacteria bloom.

I would suggest getting an API master test kit. (the liquid one, not strips) (there should be a test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates)
Test your water and post the results back here.

A few other questions will aid others in helping you.

When did you fill the tank?
When did you add this fish?
All of them at once?
Or at different times?

What kind of filter do you have?
Are you using activated carbon in the filter?

Get that test kit! It is the most important tool for monitoring your water.
You likely have toxic levels of ammonia and nitrates in your tank.
Both are HIGHLY poisonous to your fish and will eventually kill them.

You have come to the right forum for help. But the members here will need more information from you to help.

Good luck

Dave

Just the two Koi is enough of a bioload on that tank it didnt need 11 helpers.

Goldfish are dirty fish, they create ALOT of waste.

I filled the tank about a month and a half ago.
I added the fish about 3 weeks ago and did 5 the first week 5 the second week and three the third week.
I have a whisper filter for 30-60 gallons.
I am not quite sure because the petsmart guy gave me the recamended cartridges for the tank.

What kind of filter, as in model is it?

I have a 26g tank, I run a 40g filter on it.

Take a clear glass, fill it with some tank water, look at it under a light and see what color it is tinted.

Bacteria blooms and algae blooms are causes for cloudy water.

Its a whisper filter for 30-60 gallons and the water looks like a greyish-light purpleish color when I hold it up to the light..... it use to be yellow now its that color... doews that mean that the water is getting better?

What color is the gravel?

Ive never heard of grey-light purple water in an aquarium before.

Which whisper though? does it hang off the back? the filter packaging should tell you if you dont have the filter box or manual still.

Which whisper though? does it hang off the back? the filter packaging should tell you if you dont have the filter box or manual still.

Its the filter that hangs off the back... I dont have anything because I bought it off of craigslist from a guy up in blackforrest....

What filter cartridges did it take?

A pic might help, I have a tetra and they arent that good, I am upgrading to a canister filter possibly a c220 if the JBJ info seems more trouble then its worth.

I do have to say though, my tetras have outlasted my marinelands.

i am so embarassed of the cloudiness i appreciate your advice.... i dont understand why this one is so cloudy all of my other little tanks have been so clear now this one is not......:confused:
my computer would not download the pictures on to this message so the pictures are on my profile.... hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom