Help! comet fish!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PitbullsareAngels

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well my mom decided to get a feeder goldfish, the petstore said it will stay small (inch or two) I've said many times to her never lisen to pet stores. She got it because her other fish was lonely I love the fish and I name them but there more hers. They decided to sell her the biggest fish posible, but I fell in love with the little guy so I was woundering how fast they grow because I probly can get at least 15 gallon tank this mounth or begaining of next mounth, hes only inbetween1-2inches and only had him like 3-4days. and will be able to get him a 55 gallon-60 gallon tank and one day hopfuly get him a pond. So I was wondering if he will be ok to be in 15 gallon for 1-2mounths and be fine without stunting his growth and be ok in 5 gallon for 2 weeks max at the size he his because I realy want him to grow out nice and big. If I cant get 55 gallon in those 2 mounths then I will rehome him with comtractor in his outdoor pond or if he wont be fine till then/stunted growth. I realy want to keep him and defently dont wanna stunt him. I realy hope he will be fine for 2 mounths but not risking if you think it will realy harm him also he hasnt started growing yet

I know 5 gallons waaaay to small I just need to come up with money to get 15 then 55 gallon, I just wanna put him 15 soon so he be fine till can afford 55 gallon since its like 400 bucks

I guess that would be fine, but 2 months would be pushing it. Petco has a dollar-a-gallon sale, so a 15 would be 15$ and a 55 would be 55$

even if we say its 55 bucks... the stands for a 55 gallon are 300-900 bucks there! thats more then 300-400 for tank and stand plus need filter and cleaner pump... plus no petco where I live :/ only petsmart, plus I dislike pet stores other then petsmart because give bad info and have bad care of animals. its not 2 mounths but inbetween 1-2mounths more likley plus its only minimen wages...and only part time since I have school. plus cheacked there site they dont have 55 gallons highest is 50 for 230 20% off.... sorry thats an very expensive store at least where I live and there site says. But i will try and get it as soon as possible because I do care about my fish

The comet should be fine. You sound like you really care and are prepared to do what's needed- that makes him one VERY lucky feeder fish :)
I found myself in much the same boat :nono:

I'm actally in love with comet fish since there so active and plan on feeding varity like sinker pond pelts,canned blood worms, veggies etc. his name is chocolate chip because hes orange with brown spots and one spot is right over his mouth so looks like he got in the chocolate chip jar. I'm getting his 15 gallon this week (hopfuly early this week) since sent my dad to go find one by talking to his friends,nabours and checking out places. Also when he gets larger will his pattern dispear....or change?

I'm actally in love with comet fish since there so active and plan on feeding varity like sinker pond pelts,canned blood worms, veggies etc. his name is chocolate chip because hes orange with brown spots and one spot is right over his mouth so looks like he got in the chocolate chip jar. I'm getting his 15 gallon this week (hopfuly early this week) since sent my dad to go find one by talking to his friends,nabours and checking out places. Also when he gets larger will his pattern dispear....or change?

Water changes and lots of them are going to be your best friend. I recommend testing everyday as even in a 15 the levels are going to get up there very quickly. Just as an example I have 2 goldfish (body length of about 2.5-3 inches each) in a fully cycled, 37 gallon tank and I have to do twice weekly water changes of 50% to keep the nitrates below 20-40.

You can build your own stand for a lot cheaper. Also check classifieds and anywhere for used stands. No need to pay that much.

Back
Top Bottom