Help Decide My Population !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thutton33

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
Due to recent catastophie I have had to restart my tank, My Media is the same but 100% water change so I am probly looking at a cycle but I want to plan it out.

Specs:
75G
Fluval 404
Driftwood (2 stump like and 1 log)
Fake Plants
Gravel Base
My City has Low PH 6.2-6.6ish

Stocking Plans (PLEASE post opinions/suggestions):
2 Convicts
4-6 Angels (Assorted)
2-4 Gouramis (Gold/Blue/Opaline)

Please let me know what I could change/substitute I would love to hear ideas of fish I have not thought of :)

*Note* If I am looking to re-cycle please let me know which fish of the population you suggest would be best to get to do my cycle.

Thank you in Advance, and please have fun

If you haven't been feeding the bacteria with an ammonia source you are looking at a cycle. In that case you can switch out your substrate to sand if you wanted. Please consider a fishless cycle as opposed to fish cycling.

With angelfish do plan of having lots of plants or fake plants to help with territories. Angels can co-exsist but do need to have hiding spots. Keep in mind that personalities will come into play. I have 2 angels in a 135 gal and they will not tolerate ANY other angelfish. It is a heavily planted tank as well.

In that size tank, gourami's should be ok but watch for aggression between them. Convicts should also be ok. Obviously you will need to watch all the fish for aggression.

What are you considering for bottom feeders? A larger school of cories would be very entertaining.

I hadnt put much thought into bottom feeders due to the Convicts being bottem-mid dwellers and being aggresive to the other bottom dwellers, wouldnt Cories be a little small? or are they fast enough to protect themselves?

I like the idea of it though, I have always liked cories

Depending entirely on what you have for plants and ornaments and the type of cories. Some cories get as large as 3". You do not want to consider dwarf cories at all. If you have sparse decorations then skip the cories. If you have dense hiding spots on the bottoms then the cories would probably be ok. Again I stress that you would have to be watchful. All of the fish not just the convicts, are aggressive. The convicts are the most aggressive to other fish, the others are aggressive mainly to their own species. You could also look at something such as cuckoo catfish. They can stand their own with the convicts with little concern.

Here is a link to the cuckoo catfish. I have these in with my cichlids and I love them. Synodontis multipunctatus (Cuckoo Synodontis) with picture / photo

Last edited:
I do like those fish, they are attractive, but I beleive they need a 7+ PH, I could put crushed coral in the filter to raise mine if it came to that (note if more suggestions have higher PH fish I would be more then happy to)

:)

Fish can adapt to lower ph, as long as it is stable. The more I think about it the more I like the cuckoos with your setup.

I keep discus at a ph of 7.6 and have done so for 4 years with no problems. The cuckoo cats would be fine at your ph.

I am really interested in these additions, They are very attractive fish. How many of them should I have? do they enjoy their own company or would that make then aggressive to each other to te extent of serious injury?

So, so far on my list of fish that Im interested in including for my new setup is

Convicts (Pair)
Angelfish (Assorted)
Gourami (Assorted)
Cuckoo

not to say I will be having them all I am just compiling a list of fish that I an interested in, and I enjoy the advice/suggestions.. Keep them coming

I will be posting pictures of my tank tomorrow to try to give all the readers a means to picture what fish would look good in the tank..

Ok as I mentioned before here is a pic of my tanks setup, so let me know what you think will look good in this tank.

fish.jpg

Better choice IMO. I would get 3 cuckoo catfish. They are awesome fish! I have 6 in a 125 gal. They aren't aggressive but will eat fry. I actually like it because I have way too many yellow lab fry and they keep the population in check.

I would consider adding some slate or rocks to the tank. Angelfish will spawn on slate once they mature.

Ok so I have a new *possible* stock but still need more additions and suggestions

4 Green Serverum
4 Platinum Angels

I was thinking about cuckoos but it dawned on me that the addition of the salt to keep my cichlid in paradise would probly have a negative effect on any of the catfish family... any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom