Help diagnose discus health

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julianhossini

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i recently got a new discus and his poop is clear, can you help tell me if he is sick? here is a picture of his poop ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395766293.199525.jpg

It could be anything really. Lots of questions for you when you're ready. Is this your first ? What are your water parameters ? How many others? Where did you get it ? HOPEFULLY you did a proper QT first and didn't rush home and "plop and drop" it in the tank !! Is there only 1 in the tank ? What's the water temp ? What other fish ? What food ? What do you do for WC's ? Etc etc etc.

what are you feeding him? What is your water change schedule like? Algae like that in a discus tank usually means water changes are not done often enough.

I am feeding him sinking granules and beef heart and im not sure on the water perimeters as i have had this tank for quite some time and it is pretty established now

But what is your water change schedule like? Young discus needs several large water changes a week.

I do water changes once or twice a week but it doesn't get very dirty because i dont have very many fish in there

There has to be some serious water issues to have that much bba growing on wood.. How much do you feed??

So black beard algea is what it is? Amd if i do more water changes it will go away?

I don't think it's parasites. He looks pretty healthy. I would just start doing larger more frequent water changes (50-60% 3 or 4x a week) - and smaller more frequent feedings (three small meals a day rather than one large one) and see if he improves.

I wouldn't worry, Discus are finicky fish and they can get stressed easily. Maybe do a water change and feed him lots of beef hearts. Beautiful discus though!

I don't think it's parasites. He looks pretty healthy. I would just start doing larger more frequent water changes (50-60% 3 or 4x a week) - and smaller more frequent feedings (three small meals a day rather than one large one) and see if he improves.
+1 accross the board!

Ok thanks for the help to all of you!! I already feed small meals throughout the day and dont over feed but i will definetly do more water changes, thanks again

As much of a pita as wc's are... Think bout how happy your discus will bee!!

Brookster has seen this photo before. The left one is about 6" the center just over 3" and the right over 5". It's QT tank with multiple, large volume, daily water changes. That's proper Discus husbandry. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396405520.112677.jpg

Back
Top Bottom