HELP- Discussion on planaria safety!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
:banghead:Here's a debate that seems to be have me twitterpated (baffled, amused and confused, taken from disneys movie Bambi). I have a few planaria worms in my 10g from plant removal and replanting. I know they are harmless, my tank is clean, I'm pretty sure they hitched a ride with tropical fern and java fern that I got back from my mom (my oscars didn't take kindly to them) and planted in my betta/ fiddler crab tank.

Here's the real question I can't seem to find the answer to- Is it ok that my betta and crabs are eating them, and if so, should I not feed them until the worms have been eaten/ are gone?

C'mon guys, I REALLY am interested in hearing your answers. Thanks in advance to any and all that help me.
:thanks:

Attachments

• 2012-12-01_11-04-32_550.jpg
    2012-12-01_11-04-32_550.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 107
I would still feed just maybe not as much. You're talking about the tiny white worms right? I have some in one of my Betta tanks & I can't seem to get rid of them completely, there aren't many thankfully. He doesn't eat them or if he does he doesn't eat very many. Yours might eat some but I don't think it's enough or contains all the nutrition needed. I could of course be completely wrong.

There are fish that eat them so they are safe to eat, its just only a few fish are known to eat them. Here is a list...

Angel fish, blue and pearl gouramis, guppies, common goldfish, mollies, tiger barbs, betta fish, and paradise fish. As for fiddler crabs, I don't know if they would eat them but since they are scavangers I wouldn't be surprized if they did.

I would still feed just maybe not as much. You're talking about the tiny white worms right? I have some in one of my Betta tanks & I can't seem to get rid of them completely, there aren't many thankfully. He doesn't eat them or if he does he doesn't eat very many. Yours might eat some but I don't think it's enough or contains all the nutrition needed. I could of course be completely wrong.

I agree with this as well, I would continue to feed but perhaps not as often or as much. You definitely don't want to starve your fish because you think they are getting too much food.

Sorry I've been busy finally have the time to check back in and respond (mobile device crashes). I did feed, but only the crabs would eat. I got worried about my betta so I moved him into a temporary 2.5g for observation- he was fine from the beginning, had a horribly voracious appetite. I put him back the next day, didn't feed that day and cut back feeding to every other day. I put in some biofloss from my lfs owner and lowered the ph just slightly. I still probably have some planaria, but none are visible any more. Thanks for the list of planaria eaters. Ironically I own mostly betta and the gourami you mentioned. :) thanks guys!!

Back
Top Bottom