Help - Do i have too many fish and how to get my water clear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalileza

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new on this i will like to know if its to much i should add or remove anything?? And how i can make the water more transparent wirhout remove the fishes as per i have baby snails and some shrimps and eel i can catch

Attachments

• IMG_7637.jpeg
    IMG_7637.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7640.jpeg
    IMG_7640.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7637.jpeg
    IMG_7637.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7639.jpeg
    IMG_7639.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7638.jpeg
    IMG_7638.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 4
The cloudiness is called a bacterial bloom. Its a normal stage new aquariums go through. Its bacteria in the water feeding on excess nutrients. As your cycle establishes and the nutrients get more into balance it normally clears up on its own.

How long has your aquarium been set up?

Do you know your water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How big is the tank and what fish do have? How many of each species?

Without some more information the liklihood is that your tank isnt cycled. What do you understand about the nitrogen cycle? Do you know how to cycle a tank?

One thing i see from the photos is a lot of vegetables pegged down in the substrate. That looks like a lot of food thats going to degrade and make water quality go off. How long are you leaving those veggies in the aquarium before removing them?

The cloudiness is called a bacterial bloom. Its a normal stage new aquariums go through. Its bacteria in the water feeding on excess nutrients. As your cycle establishes and the nutrients get more into balance it normally clears up on its own.

How long has your aquarium been set up?

Do you know your water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How big is the tank and what fish do have? How many of each species?

Without some more information the liklihood is that your tank isnt cycled. What do you understand about the nitrogen cycle? Do you know how to cycle a tank?

One thing i see from the photos is a lot of vegetables pegged down in the substrate. That looks like a lot of food thats going to degrade and make water quality go off. How long are you leaving those veggies in the aquarium before removing them?
Wow have of it i dont know i have the aquarium 2 month i mix natural plants with arrificial to give some hiding placea to the shrimps and eels the cucumber i a giving once a week i keep for the nigh and in the morning i remove and i have
Tiger barbs 3

Albino corydora catfish 1

Angel fish 1

Common moly 4

Borneo loac 1

Pleco 1

Water snail 3 and 3 baby

Shrimp 4 they get babies i dont know how many

Eels 2

Attachments

• IMG_7649.jpeg
    IMG_7649.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7645.jpeg
    IMG_7645.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7644.jpeg
    IMG_7644.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7642.jpeg
    IMG_7642.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7641.jpeg
    IMG_7641.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7356.jpeg
    IMG_7356.jpeg
    428 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7657.jpeg
    IMG_7657.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7658.jpeg
    IMG_7658.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
Wow have of it i dont know i have the aquarium 2 month i mix natural plants with arrificial to give some hiding placea to the shrimps and eels the cucumber i a giving once a week i keep for the nigh and in the morning i remove and i have
Tiger barbs 3

Albino corydora catfish 1

Angel fish 1

Common moly 4

Borneo loac 1

Pleco 1

Water snail 3 and 3 baby

Shrimp 4 they get babies i dont know how many

Eels 2

I'm sure others will want to know more about your tank water ammo ph nitrites nitrates how long has it been running?
I dont know them

You really need to get yourself a good test kit and report your water parameters. API freshwater master test kit is a good one to get.

If you could find out the size of the tank that would be great. If you dont know the volume, measure the length, width and height and we can figure it out. Estimating from the size of one of those skewers it looks like it might be a 20 gallon high.

Based on my estimate of your tank size and the fact you don't know your water parameters i wouldnt add any more fish.

Whats your normal water change schedule?

A 2 month old aquarium is probably cycled by now, but it would be good to know your water parameters. If you cant get a test kit take a sample of water to a fish store and ask them to test the water for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Get carbonate hardness and general hardness too if you can. Write down the numbers and report back. Dont let them just say everything is fine.

Don't mind me listen to Aiken. Him and Andy are my two go to guys if I really want to know what is going on in my tank. However I will say you do need a test kit. This is a good starter kit.

I'll give it a try when my API runs out. Could not find a good youtube on it. One I did see looks like the color charts may be easier to read.

I'll give it a try when my API runs out. Could not find a good youtube on it. One I did see looks like the color charts may be easier to read.
Youtube is not the only answer out there and anyone can make and post a video without having any real information on the subject. :whistle: It's a fairly new product ( less than a year) but it's been reviewed before and shown to be very accurate.

Don't mind me listen to Aiken. Him and Andy are my two go to guys if I really want to know what is going on in my tank. However I will say you do need a test kit. This is a good starter kit.
Please feel free to contribute to the forum. Everyones experience is valuable and we learn more from contributing than just sitting on the sidelines listening in.

Andy I agree about youtube I was just wanting to see how the color charts looked compared to API. I'm blind in one eye and the other one is getting old. If the sun is not out I use a super bright light to use the test kit but still some of those colors are hard to read. I did see a kit where you look down through the test tube and slide it over the chart I'll need to find the name and see what you think of it been a few months back.
Airborne

Last edited:
Andy I agree about youtube I was just wanting to see how the color charts looked compared to API. I'm blind in one eye and the other one is getting old. If the sun is not out I use a super bright light to use the test kit but still some of those colors are hard to read. I did see a kit where you look down through the test tube and slide it over the chart I'll need to find the name and see what you think of it been a few months back.
Airborne
If that's the case, you might want to look into digital monitors so that you are seeing numbers instead of interpreting colors. A couple of members on some other sites I belong to are color blind and they said they really helped them. (y)

Back
Top Bottom