HELP! Don't know what's wrong with my beloved Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimjoyful

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I am a first time fish owner. My 7 yo son REALLY wanted a fish. Not just any fish, a Betta just like his 1st grade teacher had. I thought, 'ok, one fish. the easiest pet of all'. HOW WRONG I WAS.

The first Betta we got from Petsmart died within days (he was sick when we got him). A few days later, (7+ months ago) we got our current Betta, Finley.

Finley got fin rot several months ago. It was initially caused by dirty water. Since then I've been much more careful about regular water changes. But the fin rot keeps returning. When I get the water tested (at the local aquarium store), it's been good. But last time I had the water checked the nitrates (or nitrites?) were a bit high, so I did a 25% water change before starting API FURAN 2. It has not helped his fin rot. I'm on the second round. Before that, as his fin rot returns, I've given him Melafix, Betta Revive, and treated Betta aquarium water the aquarium store gave me.

It;s important to note that I did not know that I needed to dissolve the API aquarium salt with water changes :(( It doesn't say so on the directions, so I have only done that the past 2 times :(.

He has quite a bit of red on the end of his tail (which I read is painful). No cottony growth. Oh, and he's had popeye for about 2 months. the eyes are not discolored and still intact.

He's alone in the tank. There's a filter in the tank. He has continued to have a lot of energy. He still gobbles up his food, though recently it seems like he's having a harder time seeing it. His water temp is a consistent 80 degrees.

I have grown to completely love him. I've been preparing a 10 gallon tank for him, with live plants, tetras and mystery snails, but he hasn't been well enough for me to transfer him,for 2 mos now. I watch him anxiously every day.

What is going on with him??? Any advice is SO appreciated. I'd add pics but I'm not sure how.

Thanks in advance!!!

Kanaplex is the medication I used with good result.

Before that 100% and 50% daily water changes, with Epsom salt (magnesium) and aquarium salt. Then keeping the tank with botanical dried leaves which have antibacterial properties.

Perfect water is the #1 for a healthy fish. In many cases the salt ES and perfect water with daily water changes helped the majority of fish without antibiotics.

Good healthy foods also help.

This fish thread below, the fish just did not get cured of the fin rot. He had a poor immune system I think too.

Details here... The first page has other details, but the basics of helping my very sick guy get all better again.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/importing-a-thai-betta-the-experience-367697.html

Back
Top Bottom