Help! Dont want clown to host!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beengirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a bubble coral that I think is great and beautiful. My b/w clown apparently thinks so too cuz we've seen him hanging around it lately and has stuck his face in it a few times. At first I thought thus was cute that he might host this coral, but now I'm reading in multiple places where other peoples clowns have hosted their bubble coral and it ends up killing their coral cuz the fish rubbing on it breaks down the flesh and the skeleton eventually!!! so is there anything that I can do to try to dissuade the clown from hosting this coral?? I don't want to bully the clown, but if there's some gentle tactic to prevent it, I would like to try it. I also can't really move it cuz it took me a while to find a spot the coral seems to really like.
Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Beengirl said:
Have a bubble coral that I think is great and beautiful. My b/w clown apparently thinks so too cuz we've seen him hanging around it lately and has stuck his face in it a few times. At first I thought thus was cute that he might host this coral, but now I'm reading in multiple places where other peoples clowns have hosted their bubble coral and it ends up killing their coral cuz the fish rubbing on it breaks down the flesh and the skeleton eventually!!! so is there anything that I can do to try to dissuade the clown from hosting this coral?? I don't want to bully the clown, but if there's some gentle tactic to prevent it, I would like to try it. I also can't really move it cuz it took me a while to find a spot the coral seems to really like.
Thanks for any help you can give me!!

If you dont want to move it you try to re aquascape all but that spot.. it might work but good chance it wont my clowns hang in one spot and only one spot of the tank. Best chance is to move it. There has to be another spot it will like they are not very picky as other corals.

If he's looking for a host anemone he'll either find it or another coral no matter what you do. It's instinct for some of these fishies. Mine hosts an open brain coral.

Animal-chin: I was afraid of that. He swims all around the whole tank and in sure he'd find it again even of I moved it. It's only a 55gal tank after all!! Lol

Sounds to me like there might be a nem in your future...but I recall it has only been set up a couple of months and you'd need a lighting upgrade...am I right about this? I can't remember.

Yeah, the tanks only couple months old. I have kessil LED light, and I'm told that would support pretty much any coral I'd want. I wasn't really wanting to get an anemone, have read that if they die it can pollute your whole tank. (and my tank's too new. Lol) the whole polluting my tank thing makes me nervous about them.

I originally hated nems. I swore that I would NEVER own one. I currently have a rbta, gbta, and a carpet nem in my 55 reef. I love them. I only wish my clowns would host one of my btas...owell.

Well maybe one day I'll get a nem. My daughter really wants a BTA. I'll probably give in some day. Lol. If he hosts this bubble tip and I get get a nem later, do they ever change what they're hosting? Would he possibly move to the nem then?

Well maybe one day I'll get a nem. My daughter really wants a BTA. I'll probably give in some day. Lol. If he hosts this bubble tip and I get get a nem later, do they ever change what they're hosting? Would he possibly move to the nem then?

Smart move, wait a year till your tank is mature and stable. If you have the proper set up and lighting then your nem will thrive and you wont have to worry about it dying. Never buy anything that you have to worry about if you can keep it alive.

Back
Top Bottom