Help Dosing ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jewel_cichlid03

Aquarium Advice Freak
Having trouble with conversions all the conversion calculaters ive used just tell me mililiters id like to dose to 4ppm in my 30 that im currently cycling and would like to know how much ammonia in table spoons that would take ?

It depends on the concentration of the ammonia solution you are using.

If you want to dose to 4 ppm NH4 in a 30gal tank with a typical ammonia concentration of your solution of 9.5%, you would need to dose 4.8mL of ammonia, or 1 teaspoon (approximately).

That ought to get you close enough.

Well, it is pure, but will still be diluted to some percentage, usually 9.5% or 10% I think.

As Fort mentioned, it really depends on the brand of ammonia. Some have wildly different concentrations (from 2% to 10%). If you look up the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the ammonia you purchase, it will list the concentration or you can check the manufacturer's information. Make sure the ammonia has no additives such as dyes, fragrances or surfectants (and doesnt foam/bubble when you shake it).

Using mls is pretty straight forward. If you stop at your local pharmacy/drugstore, most will give you a 5ml syringe for free. Theres approximately 5mls in 1 measuring teaspoon, too. The calculator below is accurate for dosing- you just need to enter your tank size, desired 'ppm' and % of ammonia and it will give you the exact dose in mls.

Calculator

Has anyone ever used this brand of ammonia before when cycling there tank it dosent give a % on the bottle

image-977241158.jpg

Well I found info online. It says it has a chelating agent (no idea what that is) and surfectant. Generally you want to avoid using ammonia with surfectant for a fishless cycle. I know of people who have done it but generally it isn't recommended. It is also only 2.5% of ammonium hydroxide which is pretty low so you'll be using quite a bit to get the ammonia to the proper level. Walmart Great Value Great Value Ammonia, 64 oz : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide

Where are you located? Are there no Ace Hardware stores there? Ace sells the right brand of ammonia to use and it's pretty strong so you won't need much.

Thank u and yes i live about 5 minutes from an ace hardware. about how much is there brand ?

I don't remember, my fishless cycle was a while ago (I still have the leftover ammonia though lol). I think it was something like $5 for a large bottle. It's the ACE Janitorial Strength ammonia that you want.

I don't remember, my fishless cycle was a while ago (I still have the leftover ammonia though lol). I think it was something like $5 for a large bottle. It's the ACE Janitorial Strength ammonia that you want.

image-2129078120.jpg

Is this the right kind ?

Back
Top Bottom