Help!!! Dying Fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lightningryan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Help, I left for the weekend and i asked my mom to feed my fish
(1 Male Fancy Guppies
2 Female Fancy Guppies
5 Black Skirt Tetras
7 Neon Tetras
6 Algae Eater Snails)

ok, i got back, she said she fed them like i told her too, and here is what i came home to:

2 dead guppies (algae eater snails eating them)
2 dead neons (not to be found)
1 dead algae eater snail

my black skirts are turning slightly pink
and my tank lost 1 inch of water

Help me here

I think it might have to do with testing the water, the tank has been setup for a month and it was fine but havent cycled it yet or tested the water. i need to buy tester stuff. Help

Thanks

Hurry!!!

8O You might want to try quarentining fish that are alive from that tank(not sure)? But like DeFeKt said, that's kinda important to have (I only have a test kit for nitrite don't feel bad >_<) but that's mostly likely why your fish died ._. sorry for the loss . Maybe do a water change?

^^; I'm not a big expert on this subject but hth...

how large is this tank and when did you put all these fish in? If it is a relatively small tank (under 20 gallons) and you put all those fish in at once recently without cycling the tank, then that is where your problems are coming from. I say do some extra water changes this week and next to help keep toxins down in the tank. You may loose more fish just because of the high stress they are going through, but if you keep cleaning the tank, I bet you can control the damage. Good luck!

I would start doing 20% water changes daily for now until you can get the water tested. The tank isn't cycled but is going through the cycling process and the contaminants are killing the fish. I would bother quarentining the fish as they are all in trouble now. Also don't add any new fish until the tank has finished cycling. Then add new fish slowly (if at all depending on the size of the tank) as they will create new spikes int he cycle that could harm the fish.

Also algae eating snails never eat enough algae to make much of a difference. I would not bother to replace the lost one.

okay, found your other post and to help everyone out, this is a ten gallon tank we are talking about.

soooooooooo, you are overstocked. To say the least. I would return the school of neons and two of the tetras. With three fish your bioload will be significantly less and you can safely cycle the tank so long as you take precautions and change water every day. Then, in two weeks when your tank is cycled I would bring back two of those skirt tetras so you have a nice school. Thats it. No more fish. The end. :wink:

*edit* oh yeh, and I say get rid of the neons because they are a very sensative fish and I'm trying to help you get through this with as little deaths as possible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom