HELP! EMERGENCY! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rip Fantom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im in the Chicago area and just found my largest Koi on his side near the opening in the ice in my pond. I have a de-icer and its been cold so the hole was only about 18" diameter and my pond is about 10x12.

I grabbed a hammer and opened the hole to about 2'x 5' and put two bubble bars under the edge as far as I could reach. The large koi swam back under the ice when I started chopping. So I hope I can get enough air to help them.

Any advice?????? Someone once told me I can spray pure hydrogen peroxide into the water at the fish to revive them if they are dying.

Thanks.
-Rip

You've done all you can do in this weather. The extra oxygen can't hurt BUT keep it close to the top as you do not want to drive the warmer water at the bottom to the top and have the frigid surface water go to the bottom. Also hammering ice can cause death by shock. This storm we're having is awful, huh? (I am in Cleveland). I have had to go out every hour and scrape a foot of drifted snow off the hole in the center of the deicer -- I certainly can't do this all night long. I can only hope my koi survive with many hours of snow covering the deicer hole. Sometimes you just have to let nature do its thing, unfortunately. Good luck.

An 18" diameter is plenty enough to allow the exchange of noxous gases. Never hammer or break the ice. This will shock the fish. Use 5/8" plywood over a small section of the pond with the de-icer beneath it. Strong enough to hold the weight of the snow, it keeps the snow off the de-icer so it can function better.

Back
Top Bottom