Help explain sponge filters please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdfox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone help explain sponge filters to me please? I keep seeing it come up in various threads and not sure I'm understanding it's purpose.

If a sponge is being used on an air pump, it's not actually filtering water, right?

Is this something done along with a main water filter, or instead of one?

Also believe I came across one post of someone referring to having a sponge over their water filter intake tube. Is this something similar?

In what circumstances is any if this beneficial?

Sorry for all the questions, really want to figure this stuff out.

Thanks for any help!

spongefilterflow.jpg

they are used with an air pump, you attach some airline tubing to a airstone and to the filter. I know people who use these exclusively with no other filtration, yes they do filter the water. I like to use them with my other filters. I run 1 or 2 in my main tank at all times, that way when you want to start a new tank, just place the sponge filter in the new tank and it's instantly cycled (smaller tanks)

On my fry tanks I use these exclusively.

they also make whats called pre filter sponges that go on the intake tube

see where the light grey plastic piece connects to the sponge? that lifts off and underneath there is a little nipple for airline tubing. You put a piece of airline as far down into the sponge as it will go with the airstone attached. Its very easy

Awesome. Thank you again. Makes so much more sense now. While we're here, maybe I can get one more question answered.

When it comes to bio filters, where the bacteria colonize, as in this case the sponges, what is the recommended way to clean them without harming the bacteria? I know I need to clean the one in my small tank I have, but have been hesitant to do so afraid I'll ruin the BB.

Thank you for posting this!!!

I have been confused on them as well. This is VERY helpful :)

I use 3 of these in my Marmorkreb tank since they've given birth, and 2 in my guppy tank since they have fry. Love the sponge filters as do the baby Crays they hang out on them.

55 - Jack Dempsey/Rainbow Shark/Cobalt blue cray
46 - Marmorkreb tank
20 - Guppy farm
10 - Betta Tank

Back
Top Bottom