Help for shy gardneri?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got an adult pair of F. gardneri, beautiful fish! They are in their own tank, sponge filter, lots of both floating plants and najas, and a small piece of driftwood. No issues getting them to eat but otherwise they hide. Is there anything I can do to make them feel more comfortable? Dither fish?

My male hid most of the time, female was always out and about. Add some more females to keep him on his toes??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How big is the tank? I'd say a small school of pygmy cory's would work well with these, or maybe a group of tetras.

Nils

When I got mine they hid for about 2 weeks but now they are completely out and about. Just give it some time.

Guess I'm just impatient but they're so darn pretty!

When I got mine they hid for about 2 weeks but now they are completely out and about. Just give it some time.

How big is the tank? I'd say a small school of pygmy cory's would work well with these, or maybe a group of tetras.

Nils

My male hid most of the time, female was always out and about. Add some more females to keep him on his toes??

Do you folks keep them alone or with other fish?

Alone, if they're what I think they are they'll maim anything and everything in the tank... mine did anyways.. beat up my precious apistos and took the tails off 4 zebra danios overnight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alone, if they're what I think they are they'll maim anything and everything in the tank... mine did anyways.. beat up my precious apistos and took the tails off 4 zebra danios overnight.

Definitely gardneri...after a bunch of reading I plan to keep them alone.

Do you have any experience with A. Australe?

Settling up another tank for them...just wondering if they can be kept with other fish or not.

My gardneries have never gone after anything other than the hairs on my arm. Their bites hurt just a warning. It won't make you bleed but it'll give you quite a sting.

My gardneries have never gone after anything other than the hairs on my arm. Their bites hurt just a warning. It won't make you bleed but it'll give you quite a sting.

Thanks for the warning!

Could I either put another pair of gardneri in the same tank or a pair of a different type of killie?

Fed them flake yesterday for the first time and now he's all over the tank, go figure :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom