Help!! Fungus (I think?)!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Venturer4life

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so here is the story, I have a 10 gallon tanks with (well it had) 2 american flag fish (male/female pair), 4 neons, and 2 german blue rams (male/female pair). It is also planted with java fern, what I believe to be a micro sword (bought it at LFS as "aquarium grass"), moneywot, and an anubias nana. I have a whisper 10i internal filter, a tetra heater (I forgot what wattage, but it gets the job done (it keeps the tank at 78'F, and is not adjustable, or I would have it a bit higher)), and a 4-5in airstone. This is my college tank that I take back and forth with me between college and home (I had just moved back in to my dorm 3 weeks ago, which I believe might has started the problems). The tank has been established for about a year now (and no it did not re-cycle or have a mini cycle as I take precautions when transporting to not kill off my bacteria)

Anywho, like I said, I had just transported my tank back to school about 3 weeks ago. All of my parameters stayed stable (ammonia always 0, nitites were negligible, I always kept my nitrates were under 10, PH is around 6.4 (I know it is a bit low, but I have kept fish in it for many years and have never encountered any issues). About a week after I moved in (about 2 weeks ago), my male american flag fish started to grow white fuzz on his eye and was getting fin rot (or what I assumed to be. It was like the ends of his fins were turning into a whitish-clear jelly and disintegrating. The fins and the base of the fins were not red at all). With in the day, he passed it on to his mate. I tried to make it to my LFS to get meds or something asap, but were not actually able to medicate them till the day after (I used pimafix/metafix combo (I know there is a large controversy about these meds not really doing anything, but I was desperate and it is what the people at my LFS told me to use, especially cause I was not really sure what I was dealing with (fungal or bacterial)). In about a day, the pair seems to be getting better (my female was nearly back to normal and my male was getting there). I kept up the treatment for 3 days and everything seemed to be going back to normal and it did not spread to my other fish (especially my GBR pair, whew!). I had to stop medicating after 3 days due to the fact that my grandfather was dying and I had to go home (though I did not do the water change, as I hoped maybe the meds would hang around for a few more days).

Well, I got back after the weekend, and my male flag fish had passed and my female was not looking great. I took out the male, did a water change, and vacuumed the gravel, then added more meds for my female. After a day, my female was not responding like last time and just got worse by the hour and died later that day. The next day, I added more meds to try to keep it from spreading, but again had to leave to go to my grandfathers funeral in indiana. Yesterday on my way home, I got a text from my roommate saying that all of my other fish were sick and had white stuff on them. I instructed her to add more meds. I just got back today, to find my GBR pair dead (Which stinks cause they were doing so well and they had started to color up (I bought them about 2 months ago and they were still juveniles). I have 2 neons left, and that is it. Now, there is a white coating all over my plants, driftwood, and the bit of hair algae that was growing on one of them.

So my main question is what should I do now? I really don't want to break it down and start from scratch (especially cause I still have the 2 neons), and I spent a good deal of money (at least to me) on my plants and time growing them (my anubias was even starting to throw out flowers!). Please help!!

Maybe your over feeding I had same thing happen I used those and them did a full water change

I make sure that all of the food is eaten. I also do water changes and vacuum the gravel quite often. My water parameters are fine.

Anyone else? please! I really need help! literally 1/2 of my fish have died and I don't know how long the others will last. I would really appreciate it is someone could help me out!!!

It now seems that the fungus is killing my anubias as well. The leaves are turning yellow as well as part of the main stem thing.

I have decided that the fungus came from my tap water. I live in a dorm and I have talked to a few other people who have tanks. They all used the tap water (with a water conditioner of course) and are having the same issue. My roommate used it for her betta as well (though she used her brita filter instead of water conditioner, which I am skeptical that would work) and her betta became sick and died around the same time mine did.

So I am still trying to clear the fungus from my tank, but now I have to figure out where I am going to get the water for my tank. Do I used spring water (though I am not thrilled about that due to the cost), or is there a way to clear the fungus from my tap water? boiling it maybe? I know a fish store around me also sells water, though it is a bit of a drive for me, and at that point, I feel like spring water would be about the same, if not less expensive. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Back
Top Bottom