Help! Goldfish flopped out of tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animallover09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, before I explain, please know that I admit I messed up and should have known what would happen.

Anyways, we had a big ice storm and my 65 or more gallon pond outside froze solid (we haven't invested in a pond heater). So before that happened, I had to hurry and make a trade for a 55 gallon tank to put these fish in (yes, I know, it's not big enough but I am planning to put them back outside when it warms). The tank didn't come with any hoods since it was set up for hermit crabs so I had to do without and I really didn't think my fish would jump out.

However, one morning last week, my husband woke and found a fish on the floor. Its a pretty good drop and we aren't sure how long he was on the floor. My husband kinda pushed in through the water to get water going through him and thank goodness he lived.

But now I am worried because his gills look weird. The gills turned white like the skin dried and flaked off from flopping on the floor and his tail dried a little which also has shed off. That was a week ago. Now, his gills are looking a little black/brown around the edges. He seems fine, eating and swimming about. I've been doing water changes like normal and keeping levels where they are supposed too.

So, I guess I'm asking, should I separate him and treat him somehow? Has this happened to anyone else? Will he eventually die because of this? His gills kinda look like they are rotting.
Please help. I'm willing to try anything within my budget.

P.s. I do plan on getting hoods, just now right now.

One photo it to show how far he fell, one is to show you what his tail looked like last week and the other is his gills today.

ForumRunner_20131231_152052.jpg

ForumRunner_20131231_152127.jpg

ForumRunner_20131231_152035.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131231_152017.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131231_152017.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 113
If you do not have a hood yet, atleast cover the tank with window screen or another type of mesh to prevent anyone else from jumping. The best you can do for him right now is frequent water changes. Keep a close watch for any signs of infection or fungus. The black areas are likely from excessive air exposure and slime coat damage. With time, they should heal and fade. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns or something changes!

In addition to a hood or window screen, you could also try egg crate found in the lighting section of most hardware stores. Place it on top or cut it to fit the tank's interior rim.
Btw - that built in shelf with lights is really cool!

Thank you for reassuring me. And for the compliment on the shelf. My husband just built it, we love it.

Anyways, ive been doing water changes about every other day since the ammonia stays kinda high.

To prevent anymore from trying to commit suicide (haha), I dont fill up the tank all the way to the top. I leave about 2 inchs from the top so maybe they will hit the edge. But I will be looking into the Styrofoam or mesh top asap.

Just to be clear regarding the egg crate. Sometimes it refers the the wavy foam you put over a mattress and other times it is a white plastic grid found in lighting fixtures. I am referring to the latter. Here is a link and pics to an article for building a tank cover using egg crate:
http://aquarists-at-usf.forumotion.com/t13-diy-eggcrate-aquarium-cover
eggCrate.jpg

EggCrate.jpg

Thank you, I am planning to go look for some tomorrow. It doesnt look as bad as I thought it would.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom