Help! goldfish sick!!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shania

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I have two goldies. One I believe Is a shubunkin and the other Is a fantail. They live in a 10 gallon tank. (Yes I plan on upsizing) anyway I've had them for maybe 2 months now. Lately I noticed they both werent moving around much. I have a log cave in my tank and they'd be in there most of the time. theyve been bottom sitting and wouldnt really have an appetite. Then I noticed they started getting red streaks in their tails and fins. Then their dorsal fins were flat. They seemed very sluggish:( I checked my water with my test strips. my ammonia is 0. My nitrates usually 0-40 range. My nitrites however were high. I did a 50% water change immediately. After that id change 25% every day. A couple days later my shubunkin started to get red blotches on his body. By his gills, under his belly on his tail.. so I looked around on the internet and it said possibly nitrite posioning. I went and Bought some safe start bc it "reduces harmful ammonia and nitrites. I've been putting that in daily after my 25% water changes. Yesterday they've seemed better, theyd swim around for a bit and they actually ate. But still bottom sitting. I've checked my nitrites and they've gone to 0. Nitrates also went to 20. Today I got some melafix which supposedly helps the red streaks. I put some in but my fish are still bottom sitting in their log.. What Is wrong with my fish? What else can I do?

I am also a newbie with goldfish, but might be able to help a little until the experts arrive on the scene :)

I have learnt pretty quickly that many problems with fishies originate with water quality. It was recommended to me to get an API freshwater master test kit. They are more than half price on eBay compared to the shops (at least in Australia).

I have found the test kit invaluable for monitoring the quality of water and diagnosing probs.

You might want to get a kit or at least take some tank water to a fish shop for them to test (make sure they don't use test strips as they are v inaccurate). Once you have the results, post them here for the experts :)

In the meantime, you could change at least 50% of the water everyday (adding the conditioner and making sure the new water matches the temp in the tank - I do this by adding 500mm if boiled wAter and then leaving the buckets to sit for 24 hours).

I hope this helps a little. It is quite daunting, know, but the advice on this forum is fantastic and I have found far superior to that from the local fish shops (lfs).

Good luck :)

Sorry, just realised you have done everything I suggested! I find it hard sometimes with replies because I haven't worked out how to switch back to the question - sorry about that :-(

Maybe you could increase the water changes to twice daily?

Ps the test strips are super inaccurate - perhaps you could have the local fish store test with a liquid kit, and increase your water changes to 50% twice a day - I have seen this advice given to others who have new tanks.

Sorry about my stupid replies - I wish I knew how to switch back to the question while preparing a reply :-(

Ahh thanks! I planned on having my pet store test my water, so ill definetely do that and ill be sure to buy a new test kit. Thanks for the advice !

Ps the test strips are super inaccurate - perhaps you could have the local fish store test with a liquid kit, and increase your water changes to 50% twice a day - I have seen this advice given to others who have new tanks.

Sorry about my stupid replies - I wish I knew how to switch back to the question while preparing a reply :-(

Thank you. The melafix says to treat for 7 days and then do a water change. Should I just disregard that and continue to do my water changes while still using the melafix?

I am no expert, but jlk is and am sure she/he will answer and help you.

I have read that Melafix is not very effective.

Perhaps water changes would be more beneficial?

I also forgot to include I have also used prime. But I haven't seen any changes yet :( I did a 50% change earlier today. I've also noticed today my shubunkin is at the surface of the water breathing :( he's probably not getting enough oxygen. I'm thinking of buying another filter or air stones to put in there maybe that would help. I would seriously loooove to put them in a fabulous bigger tank but I just do not have the money right now:( I want to save my babies!! Seems like everything is going wrong with them..

I'm sorry you are having such difficulties :-(

I think your fishie is either after oxygen or looking for food - if the latter he may only come up occasionally, and probably have a small nibble and swim back down again. if the former, he may be up there longer and look like he is gasping. You could get a pump and air stone, which wouldn't be very much money, and it would oxygen to the water (I think through breaking the surface rather than with the bubbles themselves?). Adding some live plants wouldn't hurt either.

I am in the same position as you - I have too many fish in a tank far too small - I am going to buy an interim tank that is bigger but nothing fancy, until I can save up for a fishie mansion :)

Hang in there as I am sure the experts will be online soon :)

Now my fishes tails are deteriorating. I see strings coming from them. There are so many possilbilities as to what is wrong its crazy.. i guess until I test the water properly then I Will know if it is the water perimeters. Praying my strong babies come through it. I feel horrible :( :(

That could be anchor worms? I would change at least 50% of your water, but contact jlk - you will be able to contact her/him via her profile - she has answered some of my posts so you can find the contact via me.

I will be keeping fingers crossed

It could be fin rot on top of ammonia poisoning. Do 50-70% water changes daily of a few days to help water quality and keep using the melafix to prevent secondary infection. Do this and your fish have a good chance of making it. I know you said you were getting a new tank soon but goldfish are very messy and toxins will build up fast in a small tank but I think it will benefit you greatly to upgrade to at least a 40 very soon. Hope this helps and keep us posted! Having sick fish is the worst!

It could be fin rot on top of ammonia poisoning. Do 50-70% water changes daily of a few days to help water quality and keep using the melafix to prevent secondary infection. Do this and your fish have a good chance of making it. I know you said you were getting a new tank soon but goldfish are very messy and toxins will build up fast in a small tank but I think it will benefit you greatly to upgrade to at least a 40 very soon. Hope this helps and keep us posted! Having sick fish is the worst!

Thank you for your input! I'm going to have my pet store test my water and then ill know whether it's the ammonia or nitrites etc. And then I'm going to buy a new test kit of course. And then hopefully my babies can be patient until I get a bigger tank. Once I find out my numbers for my water ill post it. Thanks so much. :fish1:

How do I post pictures?

Hi! Are you posting from a computer or the app? Heres how:

Computer- Click on the 'go advanced' reply button instead of the 'quick reply' button. A new page will pop up. At the top of the box you write your response in, you will see a symbol for a 'paperclip'. Click on this and you upload pics from computer's library.

App- Click on the reply button (arrow on top righthand corner). A new screen will pop up for writing your reply. On the top of the screen, you will see a '+' sign. Click this and you can upload pics from your cell's library. The pics will not show up on the reply box but will post when you submit your reply.

Ok, basically the advice that has been offered is spot on. Have your water checked with a liquid tests at a decent store (if possible). Strips are very inaccurate and often will show zero readings when in fact toxin levels are very high. Water changes are the best thing for these guys right now to keep toxin levels very low. In a small tank, they are likely spiking very quickly so you will need to stay on top of this. I don't care for melafix and it honestly does not do anymore than healthy water can accomplish. I would skip using it altogether as the fin damage and surface breathing (piping) you are seeing is the result of high toxin exposure. Please ask if you have questions!

If I let my nitrates get too high my goldfish become sluggish and rest on the bottom when not looking for food. If it goes on too long mine also start to have digestion problems which leads to bloating and floating eventually. Poor water quality has also cause their fins to deteriorate along the edges.

When this has happened I usually change 50% or more of the water, clean the filter and use the extra dosage of prime listed on the bottle when refilling.

Hi! Are you posting from a computer or the app? Heres how:

Computer- Click on the 'go advanced' reply button instead of the 'quick reply' button. A new page will pop up. At the top of the box you write your response in, you will see a symbol for a 'paperclip'. Click on this and you upload pics from computer's library.

App- Click on the reply button (arrow on top righthand corner). A new screen will pop up for writing your reply. On the top of the screen, you will see a '+' sign. Click this and you can upload pics from your cell's library. The pics will not show up on the reply box but will post when you submit your reply.

Ok, basically the advice that has been offered is spot on. Have your water checked with a liquid tests at a decent store (if possible). Strips are very inaccurate and often will show zero readings when in fact toxin levels are very high. Water changes are the best thing for these guys right now to keep toxin levels very low. In a small tank, they are likely spiking very quickly so you will need to stay on top of this. I don't care for melafix and it honestly does not do anymore than healthy water can accomplish. I would skip using it altogether as the fin damage and surface breathing (piping) you are seeing is the result of high toxin exposure. Please ask if you have questions!

ForumRunner_20131010_144514.jpg

ForumRunner_20131010_144504.jpg

ForumRunner_20131010_144452.jpg

I hope thr pictures worked. I'm using the app. But I went to my store and unfortunately they use strips. But however they were a little better than mine and some ammonia was showing up. I got ammonia alert tester I was wondering if that is accurate. Also, I was wondering if adding an undergravel filter would be a good idea? Thanks for all the help :)

Hiya, yes, the pics have worked - poor little guys. I can see their little fins and gills are quite red, which I think means high toxins. Large water changes might do the trick until you can get a bigger tank.

You have a nice home for them with little refuges and plants, which my own fish love. I think you might just need a larger tank with good filtration. I have read that under gravel filters aren't very effective, but there is so much conflicting info out there.

I would invest in the API water test kit - much more affordable online :). I have found mine invaluable and wish I had bought it when first setting up my tank.

I can feel for you. My tank has major ph issues and I am having to change 50-75% of the water daily until I can upgrade next pay day. But the fishies have improved significantly with the water changes - so hang in there and I am sure you will see happier fish, too ;-)

Hiya, yes, the pics have worked - poor little guys. I can see their little fins and gills are quite red, which I think means high toxins. Large water changes might do the trick until you can get a bigger tank.

You have a nice home for them with little refuges and plants, which my own fish love. I think you might just need a larger tank with good filtration. I have read that under gravel filters aren't very effective, but there is so much conflicting info out there.

I would invest in the API water test kit - much more affordable online :). I have found mine invaluable and wish I had bought it when first setting up my tank.

I can feel for you. My tank has major ph issues and I am having to change 50-75% of the water daily until I can upgrade next pay day. But the fishies have improved significantly with the water changes - so hang in there and I am sure you will see happier fish, too ;-)

Thanks for all your help ! I've been doing about 50% changes every day. They a little more active but still bottom sitting. And unfortunately their tails are really deteriorating :'( looks painful and the redness is horrible.. I feel so bad for them. My grandma is at a nursing home and they have a really nice outdoor pond with a waterfall and some big goldfish in it. It crossed my mind of if I could put them in there? Would they just die or would it be good for them? I just feel like my tank is going to continually have this problem because of it's size. And unfortunately I can't get them the bigger tank that they need. If I could put them in there what would be the procedures of doing that? Or is doing that completely wrong? Any one can give me answers please .

Back
Top Bottom