Help! goldfish sick!!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check online for a used tank, craigslist is usually loaded with them. You need a larger tank and filter NOW. This is exactly why it is best to stock a tank with fish that will never out grow it. We never know what life is going to throw at us. We may intend to get a bigger tank later, but often times later is too late. If you can't find a good used one, start looking to rehome them in a suitable environment. It's tough, but it's best for them.

The pond could work, however it depends on what kind of goldies they have. If they have other double tail goldfish, then it probably will. If all of their goldfish have single tails yours wouldn't make it. Fact is double tail gold fish are slow swimmers compared to single tails. That mixed with them being very weak right now, they wouldn't make it.

Check online for a used tank, craigslist is usually loaded with them. You need a larger tank and filter NOW. This is exactly why it is best to stock a tank with fish that will never out grow it. We never know what life is going to throw at us. We may intend to get a bigger tank later, but often times later is too late. If you can't find a good used one, start looking to rehome them in a suitable environment. It's tough, but it's best for them.

The pond could work, however it depends on what kind of goldies they have. If they have other double tail goldfish, then it probably will. If all of their goldfish have single tails yours wouldn't make it. Fact is double tail gold fish are slow swimmers compared to single tails. That mixed with them being very weak right now, they wouldn't make it.

I'm pretttty sure the fish in the pond are the same. Theres one in there now that is the exact same fish as my white one in those pictures. Same size and everything. And the rest just look like ordinary goldfish. They are all just orange nothing really special about them. Besides the white one like mine. Ill check on the double/single tail thing. Would I have to acclimate them to it though? They really don't have much time for all that as I can see..

It would be best for them to be healthy before being moved. The shock and stress of the move could do them in. With them being so weak right now they would not be able to compete for food. Check with your local fish shops or fish clubs to see if they have an open tank that would be better suited until they are healthy.

It would be best for them to be healthy before being moved. The shock and stress of the move could do them in. With them being so weak right now they would not be able to compete for food. Check with your local fish shops or fish clubs to see if they have an open tank that would be better suited until they are healthy.

I might just have to go buy a bigger tank. Its money I can't really afford to spend right now but I really don't want them to die I've gotton attached to them :( and I feel awful for them. their tails look.. ugh soon there won't be any tail left and they'll definitely die.. if I do put them in a different tank with all new stuff then ill have to cycle all over again. Will their tails grow back?

I know that feeling. My dreams of having an entire fish room are on hold for a lack of money.

A couple things to try to save some money, look into making a cinder block stand, materials should run less than $50 for everything. Used tanks on craigslist or garage sales are usually over priced, but you can typically talk people down just to get it out of their house/garage/storage where ever. Make sure it holds water before you buy it. When you get it home leak test it for a few days to be safe.

Another option, though not a long term solution is a rubbermaid type container. You will still need a bigger filter, but it's an inexpensive way to get them in something with more water soon.

I know that feeling. My dreams of having an entire fish room are on hold for a lack of money.

A couple things to try to save some money, look into making a cinder block stand, materials should run less than $50 for everything. Used tanks on craigslist or garage sales are usually over priced, but you can typically talk people down just to get it out of their house/garage/storage where ever. Make sure it holds water before you buy it. When you get it home leak test it for a few days to be safe.

Another option, though not a long term solution is a rubbermaid type container. You will still need a bigger filter, but it's an inexpensive way to get them in something with more water soon.

Okay so I'm on my way to get a new tank now. I'm thinking 30 gallons. Its gonna need recycled and my fish are gonna have to be in there during it. Any advice on how to go about that? Like water changes once a week?

If you can go any larger than 30 you would be better off, but it's a good enough move for now. Most recommend 30 for one goldie and 10 gallons more for each additional fish.

When you get home with the new tank move the fish and the filter and water to the new tank. Run the old filter and the new one BOTH on the new tank. You will have at least some bacteria to get you started that way. Make sure to keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

When cycling with fish, keep your ammonia below .25. If it's more than that do a water change. Once your nitrite spikes, again not more than .25, do a water change. Once both of those level out to 0 you should have nitrate. You'll have to keep an eye on it for a while until you have an idea of how long it takes to build up. Most try to keep it around 10, water change when it gets around 20. This may be every 2-3 days, maybe a little less often than that, but keep an eye on it and you'll get it.

By water change, I mean 50%.

If you can go any larger than 30 you would be better off, but it's a good enough move for now. Most recommend 30 for one goldie and 10 gallons more for each additional fish.

When you get home with the new tank move the fish and the filter and water to the new tank. Run the old filter and the new one BOTH on the new tank. You will have at least some bacteria to get you started that way. Make sure to keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

When cycling with fish, keep your ammonia below .25. If it's more than that do a water change. Once your nitrite spikes, again not more than .25, do a water change. Once both of those level out to 0 you should have nitrate. You'll have to keep an eye on it for a while until you have an idea of how long it takes to build up. Most try to keep it around 10, water change when it gets around 20. This may be every 2-3 days, maybe a little less often than that, but keep an eye on it and you'll get it.

By water change, I mean 50%.

Thank you so much. Youve been very helpful I really appreciate it. Us fish parents stick together huh! Thanks again. I hope everything works out for my fish. !

Always happy to help! I look forward to seeing how your new tank turns out.

After getting my tank as I was setting it up, (it took a little while) my brown fish took a turn for the worse and got really, white/pale. His tail was very red and he just looked like death.. he then started floating at the top on his side all bent... he stayed like that for a little bit poor guy :'( and then he went. I completely cleaned out my 10 gallon and I'm pretty much using it as a hospital tank for my little survivor. He is doing soooo much better. Hes swimming around and his tail is somewhat deteriorated but he's been moving it back and forth. It used to just lie flat. So I'm definitely gonna nurse him back to health. And then maybe put him in the pond I was talking about earlier. As far as the new tank I bought, I'm planning on putting some tropical fish in there. My goldie I'm sure would be very happy in the pond. It is beautiful. And of course I'd visit him :) thank you to everyone that gave me all the wonderful advice. I was feeling very nervous and lonely throughout this process and everyone made it a bit easier. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I wish you had been able to save them both.

I will say, the survivor will recover much quicker in the larger tank. It can always be converted to a tropical once the goodie is healthy and rehomed.

Ps Am so sorry to hear about one of your fishies not making it :-( But I am relieved to hear the other little guy is doing better. I am sure he will love it in the pond - it sounds really lovely. Good luck with his recovery.

Back
Top Bottom