help!!!help!! need to id crab!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought 3crabs today for my 40gl the fish shop said they are spider crabs (metasesarma obesum) but when i check on the net for a proper care sheet the crabs in question look nothing like the ones in my tank some pics are attch. Any help would be nice !!♡ also i would like to note that the only simillar crab i found on the net was red claws but mine arent so red....

Attachments

• 20150118_180528.jpg
    20150118_180528.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20150118_183923.jpg
    20150118_183923.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 79
First off, is the tank brackish? Those are rd claws, they'll develop coloration as you go along. Those are brackish water crabs, so for now put them in a container with a rock or something, and get some sea salt, (NOT TABLE SALT!!!) and add that into the water depending on the instructions. make sure that you use established tank water. They can survive in freshwater, but they won't thrive and live as long. Please consider setting up a half land, half water aquarium for your crabs, don't keep them in where you have them now!!

Nils

Thanks for the reply ! I also thought red claw . Is there any reasons they still called it a spider crab ??Its already all taken care of :) ive been planing this for a while ! Set up is juste like it needs to be with areas for the crabs to rest out of th water and fhe water is also brackish 1tbs of aquarium salt per gallon of water. And many hidding places and drifwood. I wanted the proper care sheet for sexing and to see what kind of treats i could give them.

Back
Top Bottom