Help! How to convert saltwater tank for fresh water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owasso_ok

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any comments or opinions will be appreciated. We got a good deal (I hope) on a 77 gallon Oceanic show tank that we are cleaning to set it up. I am pretty sure that it has been used as a saltwater tank in the past but we need it for freshwater oscars. I just read in a general internet search that you have to test the tank for copper before introducing freshwater fish to it. Since I am not sure if the previous owner used copper or not, I guess we'll test for it.

Anything else we should and must do? What is the best way to clean off the impossible water spots from the water line at the top?

Thanks for your advice!

The Martins

Not really just test for copper as you said. The water spots on the glass I use Lime away and one of those green pads for pots (with out soap) and just check for any leaks. And rinse well.

John

BillyZ is right I should have asked if this was an acrylic tank if so do not use the green pads as it will scratch the acrylic, use a regular non abrasive rag and elbow grease to clean off the spots.

John

It is a glass tank however there are some scratches on it already so we're a little curious how they got there. They appear to be from some sort of pad, not single scratches like a razor blade would make.

Thanks for your advice!

Unless there are really high copper levels it shouldn't hurt your fish. A lot of freshwater meds use copper in them. It is a problem if you want to keep any snails or crayfish etc...as any level of copper can be killer to them. And some plants don't do very well with copper either. I would just wash everything out really well. Oxyclean is supposed to work wonders in getting rid of stains in tanks without leaving any residue behind. Great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom