Help -how to save fish with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hankster123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was hoping for some advice.

I have a 65 gallon tank with african chichlids rift lake. Got 5 new fish (had 4, and one catfish) Fish got ich and all died but 3 new babies. Question 1 - I had to move tank for new carpet. Could not move unless disassembled. Put fish in 30 gallon for a few days. Put in 65 G tank for 2 days then got new fish all seemed good for two weeks then in two days 6 died (all my 12yr old fish) Could it be moving the tank that caused it or the new fish. Pet store says all fish have it and when stressed destroys them. Did not tell pet store of moving tank, they said it was stress of adding 5 new small fish at once.

Second, now 65G tank has no fish. what is the fastest way to kill the ich so I can get new fish soon? Did put in ich Meds, removed carbon. Could I add non-iodized table salt for a few days since there is no fish in there

Third, baby fish in 30 G tank. No time to cycle. did put in ich med, no carbon. Will they be ok or what should I do so they dont die. Dont look sick now.

Thank you for your help

I was hoping for some advice.

I have a 65 gallon tank with african chichlids rift lake. Got 5 new fish (had 4, and one catfish) Fish got ich and all died but 3 new babies. Question 1 - I had to move tank for new carpet. Could not move unless disassembled. Put fish in 30 gallon for a few days. Put in 65 G tank for 2 days then got new fish all seemed good for two weeks then in two days 6 died (all my 12yr old fish) Could it be moving the tank that caused it or the new fish. Pet store says all fish have it and when stressed destroys them. Did not tell pet store of moving tank, they said it was stress of adding 5 new small fish at once.

Second, now 65G tank has no fish. what is the fastest way to kill the ich so I can get new fish soon? Did put in ich Meds, removed carbon. Could I add non-iodized table salt for a few days since there is no fish in there

Third, baby fish in 30 G tank. No time to cycle. did put in ich med, no carbon. Will they be ok or what should I do so they dont die. Dont look sick now.

Thank you for your help

I had something similar happen to me, I had a 30G tank with 4 fish and then got 4 new ones and within a few days they all got ich and died except two. I put in Ich medicine, removed the carbon, and turned up the heat to 86 degrees. Then I added salt (about one teaspoon per 5 gallons but maybe do some research because I could be wrong, it was a while ago). This helped and both fish were healthy. I moved one out of the tank and left one in, and the one I left in died in about 3 weeks. Now that tank is fishless and I had the temp up at like 86 or 90 degrees for 3 weeks, the heat kills the parasites. My advice is to keep the tank empty for at least 3 weeks, crank up the heat and add some salt to the water. Once the parasites are gone you can try to re-stock the tank. My pleco was the only fish that lived through the ordeal and he is still going strong in a different tank. Hope that helps

You must threat all fich infected. In my case, It worked with aquarium salt water at 0.3% and 27-29C° temperature for 10 days.

Watch your fish are salt tolerent !

I already tested malachite green and formalin and they don't work super efficient...

Caution: Salt kill plants.

Just read this thread, you'll find more informations: How to treat ich without harming shrimp/snails?

You must threat all fich infected. In my case, It worked with aquarium salt water at 0.3% and 27-29C° temperature for 10 days.

Watch your fish are salt tolerent !

I already tested malachite green and formalin and they don't work super efficient...

Caution: Salt kill plants.

Just read this thread, you'll find more informations: How to treat ich without harming shrimp/snails?

This is true, when treating for Ich both of my temple plants died. In a heavily planted tank I don't know what I would do. My pleco was sensitive to salt to I did a half dose of the treatment.

catfish/pleco with ich

are catfish and plecos salt tolerant
if not how to treat them
Thank you

They are both sensitive to salt and Ich medicine. I would still use both, just do half doses of whatever is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom