HELP! I don't know how to help our Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeoMinus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:confused:
Hello people!

My cichlid is looking pretty worse for wear. I am not sure what to do I've looked all over the internet for answers on how to cure my fish.

When we 1st got the fish 5 years ago I asked the original owner about the little holes in his head. He explained to me that they can get hole in head disease but this fish was perfectly healthy, the holes I was seeing was part of his natural make up (sensory stuff im guessing).

Over the years I noticed things not going so right with the fish, it was only in a 35g tank and was getting pretty big. I noticed it getting sores and scales around the dorsal area were giving way to white scaley skin. Tried various medications per the fish store people etc. 30% water changes every 2 wks.

About a year ago, we purchased a 90g tank, did the whole prep the eco system before we intruduced our fish to the new tank. In the last 6 month's I've tried various chemicals in the tank to curb the progression of sores that our fish has been developing.

Chemicals that I have used are: [Seachem "Prime" "clarity" "flourish" (for plants)] Melafin (blue bottle if that helps) Easy Balance from Tetra

Testing strips that I use are "API 5 in 1 test strips."
Wardley Ph UP Ph Down, Chlor out.

I have a fluval 304 and a Rena filstar xp4 undertank filters.
304, has bio rocks of some kind cant think of the name atm. carbon, foam filters, and another fluval product that is supposed to help remove amonia and other "harmful" byproducts.

Xp4 has foam filtration, carbon, purigen, and 2 other fluval products. <---can find out if it would help I threw the boxes away. They were recommended by the fish store guy.

Our fish as you hopefully be able to see clearly has developed deep holes and sores that left deep scarring and it looks horrible.

I hope all this info helps you to help me.:(

Attachments

• 100_5232.jpg
    100_5232.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_5236.jpg
    100_5236.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 100B4080.jpg
    100B4080.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 100B4290.jpg
    100B4290.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 83
Oops! Forgot to mention that it did spend 3 wks in a hospital tank with Seachem NeoPlex medication to no avail. Should I try it again?

I read about this issue for the very first time today on another board while I was searching for GBR info--the posters' responses were all that the fish develop these sores in poor circumstances. I don't see that this is true here with you--you cycled a 90g and have taken some reasonable measures for your fish.

Is this an older fella?

That is major hole in the head, which is caused by very poor water conditions. How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change? Start doing 50% a week if you do not already.

Water Changes

I used to change the water every 2 wks on calander with the 35g tank, and 2 to 3-4 wks depending apparent water quality by test strips with the 90g.

The fish is about 5 years old +

I just did a test strip test

NO3 Nitrate has been high as ALWAYS, it seems no matter how much ANTI Nitrate chemicals such as Seachem Prime (removes Nitrite & Nitrate, chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, provides slime coat) it is always close to the 20-40ppm range

Nitrite - 0

Ph is lower than usualy maybe due to the water not being changed in almost 3 wks today, atm it is at the 6.0 to 7.5 ppm range. After Sunday's water change I will slowly increase Ph to what most have recommended to be 7.0 - 7.5 range but I spend a ton of cash trying to keep the Ph up.

KH (Carbonate Hardness) 40 ppm

GH (General Hardness) 60 - 120 ppm range.

I have believe it or not 3 tetra's LOL that my buddy was going to flush in there with him suffering no illnesses, there are 2 pleco's as well seem to be tip top healthy.

If weekly water changes will help remedy this I will do what I can to have that done. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your swift responses. :D

Don't worry about ph, as long as it is stable it is fine. Weekly water changes are a must for treatment of HITH disease. Don't use chemicals to try and alter your parameters. Use the water changes. Also the test strips are notoriously inaccurate. Get a master liquid test kit. You can purchase them very inexpensively online usually.

What have you been feeding the fish? (which is an oscar BTW and very pretty, even with his holey head) I know at least in saltwater fish, head and lateral line erosion can be caused by improper diet.

We have been feeding him Nutrafin Max Cichlid Sirulina Sticks and Nutrafin basix Staple Food Tablets. He also eats krill and blood worm, shrimp. We used to feed him live food but stopped that a long while back now.

Fish store people suggested trying to feed our fish Tetra JumboMin food sticks "the live food alternative". Our fish is apparently a picky eater because it wont touch the JumboMin at all.

We also tried Hikari Cichlid Staple large floating pellets. Supposedly these pellets are great for all types of cichlids and large tropical fish. Our fish wont touch this either, it just spits it all out lol.

Thank you newfound77951 our fish is very attentive, rather intelligent for a fish, and has been the big orange beacon in our living room for some time now, I hope I can get our fish back to the way it should look. I know its going to take a lot of attention from me, my wife and I hope you all can contribute a comment of suggestion to think of anything to fix this situation, tks all.

Yep... ditch all chemicals besides a dechlorinator and get a master test kit and test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Ammonia and nitrite are toxic over .5ppm- nitrate is fine up to 40ppm. If ammonia or nitrite go over .5ppm do a large water change.

Clean water is the best thing for a sick fish... water changes won't hurt as long as they are the same pH and temperature.

good luck!

Seems like your feeding regimen is OK. Reason I asked is because feeding live foods (especially feeder fish) is a common cause of malnutrition-related diseases in saltwater fish like lionfish. Feeder goldfish don't have a lot of nutritional value to them at all. Since he was on live foods for a time it could just be a delayed response to some sort of nutrient deficiency, but I'm really just guessing at this point.

I'd say just keep the water quality as good as possible with frequent PWCs, keep feeding him a variety of good foods, and cross your fingers. If he's acting OK and eating normally it may not be bothering him even though it looks terrible.

Wow I would stop treating with chemicals and start doing like 50% water changes every 2 or 3 days until it starts looking better. Then cut back to 35% water changes weekly. maybe change up which foods you give the fish every other day so it's not eating the same thing every day.
It sounds like a lot of work but you will get the fish healed up to looking normal again.
For an Oscar to have Hold In The Head this badly it's water has to have been poor for a long time.
Read up on this desease and how treat it without using chemicals. Using the chemicals and not changing the water more often then you listed has not been helping your fish.
I know you tried everything and I give you credit for all you have done to help your fish but like any other pet fish have certain needs to be cared for properly.
You came to the right place for help now the hard part begins. Change the water more often or as often as you can, dont over feed the fish even if it begs.

let us know how this works and best of luck.

Sharon in Minnesota

I have no experience with Hole in the Head myself, but the following is what I would suggest. Stash ALL chemical treatments in the closet. You will not need them. This includes PH stabilizers, increasers, decreasers, all-in-one chemical treatments, etc. Get yourself a bottle of SeaChem Prime dechlorinator, and let's knock out some water changes. I would personally do a daily water change of no less than 50%. The best way that this fish will get better is constant pristine water. Since its not a planted tank, you don't have to worry about keeping some of your nutrient levels up. Like I said...at least 50% on a daily basis. This will not stress the fish out at all, in face he will appreciate it. Depending on what's going on with my tanks(fert dosing, etc) I often do 90% PWC's on a weekly basis with no harm yet.

Back
Top Bottom