Help!! I dont want my guppies to die!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcidRainFalls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The 5 gallon tank the guppys are in isn't cutting it. Keeping it stable is virtually impossible. Although i think I'm getting some horrible advice from the pet store. I dont think my 5 gallon fully cycled when they told me to add 3 guppys. I know they're "just fish" but I am so determined to keep them alive and well. The ammonia is at 1 and I'm using some liquid they sold me and stress coat. The tank is cloudy too. I also have 4 small plants. Can anyone help me save my guppies? Oh FYI the tank is plastic and has a filter and a heater and a grow light.

Do daily water changes to keep the ammonia down. I'd change about two to three gallons. Test it a couple hours after a water change to see if it goes down. I think it would be safe to do a second change after several hours later if the ammonia is still high. Make sure the water you put in is the same temperature as the tank and has the stress coat conditioner.

How long have you had the tank? Can you test for nitrite and nitrate?

And don't feed too much, more food will increase the ammonia.

Hello Acid...

Get yourself a larger tank. I started serious water keeping with a 30 gallon. There's more water in it to dilute a mistake. Water problems are the cause of 99.9 percent of the reason fish die. The wastes they produce dissolve in the water and produce ammonia and nitrite. Even traces of these forms of nitrogen are toxic to your fish.

While you're brainstorming this new tank, you'll need to remove and replace half the water in this 5 G every couple of days. Your fish are living in the same water they're doing their business in, so you need to "flush the toilet" regularly.

B

The filter bacteria was not strong enough in a 5 gallon tank to add three fish at once. You need to do a lot of water changes until the bacteria catches up. I would suggest a 10 gallon tank for three guppies. You should be able to pick one up cheap at Walmarts or a similar place. Then just move your filter over to it and it should be cycled. I have two guppies in a 5 gallon right now and went through the same thing. Each fish sent the tank into a mini cycle. This is just going to be a breeding tank and not a permanent residence for them. Your filter should catch up to the load in a few days.

Weekend is upon us so hit the good will stores and garage sales and find a 10g tank for 5 bucks or if time is an issue you can get full kits for 30 bucks. Save you 5g setup as a hospital tank.

You should also try, "Jungle Start Zyme". It's bacteria in a bottle. It helps cycle your tank and keep it clear. I've been using it and it works wonders :)

Back
Top Bottom