HELP I HAVE WATER STIANS ON MY TANK????????????????????WHY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SYLVIA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
WATER STAIN ON TANK???????

:( SORRY LOOK AT OTHER POST 1ST TIME ON HERE THANK YOU....
BUYT I HAVE A 100 GALLON TANK WITH A WHITE CRUSTY RESIDUE THAT WILL NOT COME OFF I TRIED A RAZORBLADE I TRIED LIME-AWAY STILL NOTHING????????????????????????????HELP

I HAVE A 100 GALLON TANK WITH A CRUSTY WHITE RESIDUE GOING ALL ROUND THE TANK IVE TRIED TO CLEAN WITHA RAZOR ALSO WITH LIME-AWAY BUT STILL TO ON PREVAIL PLZ SOME BODY HELP ME I NEED TO TRANSFER MY 15 IN OSCAR TO MY 100 TANK TO GET HIM OUT OF TH 75 GALLON TANK.....ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED
THANK YOU..............SYLVIA

It may just be Lime buildup or something like this. It is caused from access minerals in the water. Whatever you do, I would not recommend using any chemicals because a little is bound to get left behind and it will severely hurt or kill your fish unless you washed it out to perfection. They sell lime remover and other products that are made for fish tanks, but I see you tried it. Maybe try vinegar, I have heard it can help. I would think if you let it soak that the razor may be more affective as well.

I merged the two topics.

Does it come off with the razor blade and keep coming back? Or does it just not come off at all with a razor blade? Do not use products like Lime Away on your tank. It is not safe.

if your tank is empty and its just deposits left over, you could soak it for a couple hours in hot water, if you could find something big enough to put it in lol or you could go the morep ractical route and soak it with a wet rag and then try scraping it off

If you want to try something else, try a towel that is wet with Distilled White Vinegar. See if that will take it off. Make sure the towel you use is pretty wet with the vinegar. If there's water and fish in the tank, be careful when doing this, as the vinegar can lower the waters ph if you get it in the tank. If it's empty, use all you want. Then just rinse out well when done.

i just the other day went at my glass hoods with white vinegar, and did a pretty good job. i filled the sink about half way with vinegar and just scrubbed away! i did have to use a razor blade on some of the tougher spots, but they turned out looking almost brand new. hth.

if its as bad as you say... that "BAM" stuff works great on anything, i wouldnt use it in an aquarium unless i was at a last resort

i've found that razor blades can be too flexible to effectively scrape off significant amounts of lime. Instead i use a very sharp wood chisel to scrape it off with. it also makes very short work of it if you use a wide (1.5" or wider) chisel, one pass will take every bit off with very little effort

Back
Top Bottom