Help! I think my ADF is very sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trickerie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday morning, I woke up to my ADF floating on the top. I turned the lights on, and he ran to the bottom like usual and stayed there with no apparent issues. I fed him a small amount of mysis shrimp last night, then went to sleep.

This morning, I found him floating on top again. However, with the lights on, and even me opening the top and swishing the water around right next to him, he has no reaction. He just floats around and moves sometimes. He doesn't look bloated, and he looks as he always has. Hes just floating and not moving :|

Heres the best pics I could get with my phone

img_1929752_0_9e128424a03e48b8ba11e738919293f9.jpg

img_1929752_1_326a3937fac01c75ad0f3c84a70cd4cd.jpg

Well... his situation went from bad to the worse in a matter of an hour. He has already died...

I suspected perhaps poor water quality, so I checked. However, my water specs are normal, trace amounts of ammonia/nitrite and 20ppm of nitrate. PH 7.5.

My betta and snail are acting normal, no signs of lethargy or fungus. Eating fine.

What could have happened to him? I've only had him about two weeks, but he was always a bit off looking. He was the pale color you see in the photos. I dont know. I will miss him. :(

Sorry about your frog :( If you've only had him a short time and the tank wasn't cycled it could have been exposure to ammonia and nitrite. Ammonia and nitrite in an established cycled tank should be 0. Nitrates at 20 were borderline high as well. I'm not sure how many water changes you were doing but perhaps it just wasn't enough. He could have been sick when you got him too. Sorry for your loss.

librarygirl said:
Sorry about your frog :( If you've only had him a short time and the tank wasn't cycled it could have been exposure to ammonia and nitrite. Ammonia and nitrite in an established cycled tank should be 0. Nitrates at 20 were borderline high as well. I'm not sure how many water changes you were doing but perhaps it just wasn't enough. He could have been sick when you got him too. Sorry for your loss.

My tank is fully cycled. Though, for some reason my ammonia will never show as 0. It always shows trace amounts (less than 0.25). I've never seen it actually reach 0. Ammonia and nitrite are eaten quickly down to these amounts but never fully disappear. My betta and snail are as lively as ever.

My frog just acted the same way and died! He was 6 days old to my 10 day old aquarium. I found this very upsetting because I had dwarf frogs previously and they lived for 2 years. He was swimming on the surface the same way you descibed but he died on the bottom. Now two of my neon tetras are really sickly looking, I have a thread about it in the freshwater sick area. This is my 2nd post in the forum and i'm really hoping that someone can help me. My tank is only 1.5 gallons so I dont know what to do. And I dont know all the lingo on this site. I do have a filter. I'm going to take my frog body to the fish store tomorrow with my sick fish and see what is wrong. :(

My frog just acted the same way and died! He was 6 days old to my 10 day old aquarium. I found this very upsetting because I had dwarf frogs previously and they lived for 2 years. He was swimming on the surface the same way you descibed but he died on the bottom. Now two of my neon tetras are really sickly looking, I have a thread about it in the freshwater sick area. This is my 2nd post in the forum and i'm really hoping that someone can help me. My tank is only 1.5 gallons so I dont know what to do. And I dont know all the lingo on this site. I do have a filter. I'm going to take my frog body to the fish store tomorrow with my sick fish and see what is wrong. :(

Well... I'd probably request this moved to your own thread.. This could get lengthy.

There's going to be a lot of questions. Mainly, do you know what cycling is? Did you do it? What are your MOST recent test results? What is your PH? What kind of environment is he in? What are his surroundings? Planted or non planted? Any wounds on him?

Back
Top Bottom