Help I think she is sick......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raijevais

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
please help!!! My lovely Sunburst Wag Platy seems to be unwell. I thought she was in labor because she was hiding and looked pretty squared off yesterday, but today she doesn't look well.
She is still hiding (as you can see in the pictures) but looks like she might be pine-coning.... could it be part of labor or is she not really pregnant and just sick?
Her sister had only 1 fry then came down with a wicked case of fin rot. She seems to be recovering. She is swimming and eating well but her fins have not grown back at all.

Can someone help me with what I should do with her?

Attachments

• 20171023_104721.jpg
    20171023_104721.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20171023_105026.jpg
    20171023_105026.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20171023_105032.jpg
    20171023_105032.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20171023_105134.jpg
    20171023_105134.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 39
Sad News..... She passed away last evening.... and my other 2 Platy's (her sister and the baby daddy) both had very red swollen gills and looked to be pineconing as well. I returned all 3 to Pet Smart where I go them.

I just hope the other fish I got from that store don't get sick. I have so far lost 6 Mollies and 3 Platy's to disease from that store. It is sad....

Both times we have gone to return fish to them we have seem Molly's with Ick in the tanks for sale... I am thinking they have some disease in the system as a whole.....
I just hope the Swordtails I got from them don't all get sick now!

I don't typically buy fish from Petsmart or Petco. Every once in a while they get in a good quality fish that I can't pass up. I've spoken to a Petsmart manager regarding their medication procedure to ensure the health of their fish. I learned that at least at my local Petsmart, they run a Copper based medication through all the display tanks.
My primary LFS is a privately owned small chain store. Been buying fish there for 20 yrs. They special order for me. Even there, disease outbreaks occur. My point is, no matter where you shop, closely inspect your fish. Educate yourself on common fish diseases and learn to recognize the symptoms. Ask the LFS employee to feed the desired fish in your presence and ask if there have been any recent illnesses.

Back
Top Bottom