Fish down!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cristinna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help figuring out what is wrong with one of my fish!!! The water was a little low An I have a baby fish net in the tank that sits high in the tank so when the water lowers because of evaporation I have to add water so the babies have room in their net. I have done this for weeks now. Doing regular water changes (changing about 20% each weekend or when needed) just today I noticed one of my red (I think it’s a Molly) isn’t swimming around An is laying on the bottom. (None of the other fish is doing it an they are all acting normal including the babies) just this one. I got a good look at it An his scales looks ruffled. Almost like when a dog gets scared or growling he puffs up his hair. It’s kinda what it reminds me of. Has anyone ever heard of that? Is he sick? Could it be he is stressed?? Could it be that he is a girl an not a boy an laying eggs?? Lord idk! I’m new at the fish life! Lol any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated!!! I’m ganna try an get a picture of him if I can get a good one.

Attachments

• 87AF663C-3714-4D85-89E8-D085521DB982.jpg
    87AF663C-3714-4D85-89E8-D085521DB982.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 64C4B20F-21A4-447B-BAF5-E5CB066062B0.jpg
    64C4B20F-21A4-447B-BAF5-E5CB066062B0.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Your male swordtail has dropsy.Not really a disease but a symptom,still lots of info on the net about 'dropsy'.
A bacterial infection that has usually done too much internal damage[hence the scales looking 'pineconed' from organ failure] by the time it shows.
Some try all sorts of stuff from antibiotics to salt ,but most lose the fish eventually...
I would remove the fish for the others sake...Bacterial infections can be very contagious if it is not just a weakened or stressed fish..

Thank you for your reply! That saddens me! I’m going to remove him from the tank. I don’t want the other fish to get sick. Is it something I did??? I don’t want this to happen again! Could it be because he is old? How do u tell if a fish is old or not? Lol again thank you!

Often it is brought on by less then stellar water conditions..If it is not infecting the whole tank then upping your water changes will help out.New clean water is often the best med.
Without having the fish from a fry or breeding it yourself it is hard to know a fishes real age...I breed and sell fish so I write down birthdate on tanks in sharpy marker so I can keep track and tell customers how old the fish they get are.
Male swordtails are pretty tough on each other so if you have other males he may have just been getting pushed around enough to stress and weaken him.
I think it is a good plan to remove him .If the bacteria is not yet waterborne it will be as the dead fish rots or even worse if another fish picks/nips at him [possibly even while still alive] this is surely a way to transmit the disease from one fish to another.

Thank you for your reply. I have changed the water An removed him from the tank. I hope it doesn’t get worse an other fish don’t start acting An looking the same. I do a water change every weekend. Is that not enough you think? I Have two of each kind of fish in the tank. Molly’s, tetras, An algae eaters. I never noticed any fish being aggressive towards him. But Idk. I do have two sunburst tetras (I think that’s what they are called) they chase the female molly all the time. I think it’s because she has had babies before but idk. Anyway, Hopefully I have caught it in time. I would be devastated if my tank went down hill. I love it. Thank you again for your reply’s.

Back
Top Bottom