Help ID some algae and give some advice on treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartinBlank

Aquarium Advice Freak
75g medium light low tech tank. I am very much a beginner (my tank is not pristine, I hesitate to post pictures but need help ID-ing this stuff). Please be gentle :p

I have a dark fuzzy algae type substance on the edges of my plants. It looks black or a very very dark green.

I have read that this might actually be a type of bacteria and not an algae. I have looked at pictures online but just can't be sure so am hoping if I post a picture or three, you guys might be able to help.

img_1755930_0_c8b3f6b622d5b4f371db0c1fb4942fa1.jpg
img_1755930_1_7bf10b31834a34ca3e3bdb221faefa84.jpg
img_1755930_2_5a3573fd8a71ed7e1eebb4395069ca9d.jpg

So what do you think? Standard algae (i.e. feed less and less light) or the bacteria stuff? If bacteria, what would you recommend?

On a related note, I do get the more standard hard green algae that sticks to the sides of the tank that I need to scrap off with a razor blade. Would Otos possible eat that? Or would CO2 be a better option?

And speaking of CO2, I would also be open to advice on those. I would be looking for simple to implement and use (i.e. very low maintenance). Definitely would be willing to spend a bit more for something that is reasonably simple to install and use long term.

Thanks as always for all your help

I'm not sure what it is but I get it too... I noticed if I stay on top of my water changes there is definitely less of it. I got some mystery snails for my tanks and they eat most of it... you can rub it off also.

from what I understand brown algae is from diatoms .. but I'm not sure if that's what on the plants

Looks like Black brush algae. It spreads quickly so you should remove all plant leaves affect and scrub any decor.
It can also be removed by excel spot treating. Just lower the water level and with a clean fine paintbrush apply some flourish excel to the affected areas. Leave for a couple minutes then refill the tank.

The hard green algae is Green Spot algae and can only be removed manually. No fish will eat it and snails don't really take care if it either. Small amounts is considered normal for a planted tank. Excess amounts can be caused by to much nutrients and high light levels(long photoperiod).

Aquarium_Lover04 said:
Looks like Black brush algae. It spreads quickly so you should remove all plant leaves affect and scrub any decor.
It can also be removed by excel spot treating. Just lower the water level and with a clean fine paintbrush apply some flourish excel to the affected areas. Leave for a couple minutes then refill the tank.

Sounds about right. Or get a syringe, fill it with excel and treat the affected areas.

Yup, definitely BBA. It's usually caused by too much light and low CO2. You can spot treat all you want, but if you don't address the core issue it will just grow back in no time.

What kind of light do you have on the tank?

Thanks a ton for the replies. So we think it is BBA and not Blue Green Algae?

I have a dual T5 HO 48" with a pair of 54w bulbs in it.

I don't run CO2. I have been considering buying a unit (no interest in trying a DIY, not the handiest of people. No matter how simple, I'll screw it up :p). I do have some Flourish Excel on the way as well.

Oh.

When I first switched this tank over from a fish only to a planted tank, I was dosing with Flourish (not Excel, just Flourish) once per week.

Then I stopped a while back. More to see just how low tech I could go and see if the plants would be ok.

The plants continued to do ok. But now I have this algae issue. Do you think discontinuing the Flourish slowed down the plants enough to make the algae shoot ahead so to speak? Should I start dosing Flourish again? Or would that be a disaster that would just make the Algae grow out of control.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom