Help identify, please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ella_e

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to say its the h. Magnificent anemone but it generally likes strong light. My anemone on the other hand decided to go in the darkest spot in the whole tank and thus enjoys all the attention from the clown. I only have had this anemone for two days so perhaps he will move back up but I placed him closer to the lights twice and he insists on floating away and positioning himself in that particular corner.

Attachments

• image-1626780939.jpg
    image-1626780939.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 170
  • image-2108653196.jpg
    image-2108653196.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 155
It does look like a Ritteri. They, like all anemones, will move until they find a spot they like. How long has your tank been running? The rocks (base rock maybe) look pretty clean and new.

This particular tank has been running for ablut 4-5 months. I do not like live rock (personal preference and thus I do not use it ) but I cycled first without fish, using live sand and live sea water, and then I cycled with fish. All my levels have been tested and have been all perfect for last 3 months.
I personally feel as though the clown (saddle back) is loving the poor anemone too much. Everytime I see the anemone try to move the clown goes and loves it some more and the anemone just stays there. I do not like it on the sand, so I will place a rock underneath it and see what happens. But thank you! I also think it is a riterri / magnificent. Lets see what happens?!

Ahh so in trying to remove him for his spot, I realized he is pretty much glued on there and has sticky tentacles: happy anemone according to my research. So i moved one of my powerheads to make sure that there is enough circulation in his area of choice. (Underlying motive: i want him to move from that poorly-lighted area underneath rocks!)

If he wants to stay there it is for a reason. My nems put themselves in shaded areas and then lean out into the light. I'd let it be and see what it does.

Thank you so much! This is my first anemone so I am totally freaking out. (I set up a webcam so I can watch him while I am in my classes, I am that paranoid) I was strictly a saltwater puffer person before so this whole anemone thing is new to me! Again thank you so much!

Anemones should be added when the system is established for at least 6-8 months. Since you have no LR and system is pretty new, there's a possibility your anemone could die. Hopefully it's okay :)

I hope so too! The thing is I do not plan on using any live rock in my tank ever, so I certainly hope it does not hinder my anemone from thriving.

Why are you so against LR? I personally have all dry BRS pukani rock, b/c I didn't want potential pests in my tank and base rock was just a lot cheaper.

Well people usually use live rock because it cycles the tank faster, because it can have some cool hitch-hikers, and brings in lots of good algae and stuff.
The way I see it: it was ripped out of the ocean and then exposed to air, then shipped with little or no water, which is at least a week: during this time most organisms died. Then it is taken to lfs, cured, etc. some of the things revive and most dont - rather it is the organisms from the lfs that end up colonizing the rock. Then once again the rock and organisms is shocked being brought into your tank. Then you can bring in unwanted hitch-hikers.
Some people like surprises, I dont. I like to know exactly what goes in my tank and why. Call me no fun but I would have a heart attack if I were to find something unexpected: good or bad.
Furthermore, I have cycled my tank already and I do not care about waiting for the process - I am in no hurry. I have my nice dried-out dead once-living coral skeletons and they make me happy knowing nothing is in there that I may not know about. I work in a lfs and know all the things that can live in there and it terrifies me.

Ella_e said:
Well people usually use live rock because it cycles the tank faster, because it can have some cool hitch-hikers, and brings in lots of good algae and stuff.
The way I see it: it was ripped out of the ocean and then exposed to air, then shipped with little or no water, which is at least a week: during this time most organisms died. Then it is taken to lfs, cured, etc. some of the things revive and most dont - rather it is the organisms from the lfs that end up colonizing the rock. Then once again the rock and organisms is shocked being brought into your tank. Then you can bring in unwanted hitch-hikers.
Some people like surprises, I dont. I like to know exactly what goes in my tank and why. Call me no fun but I would have a heart attack if I were to find something unexpected: good or bad.
Furthermore, I have cycled my tank already and I do not care about waiting for the process - I am in no hurry. I have my nice dried-out dead once-living coral skeletons and they make me happy knowing nothing is in there that I may not know about. I work in a lfs and know all the things that can live in there and it terrifies me.

Ok so these are exactly my thoughts. My tank is in mid cycle and I just bought dry base rock and I'm selling the LR. After I found bristle worms, aptasia, and a gross little crab I don't want live rock. I don't care if it takes me longer I'm switching to base. What are your thoughts on this idea?

I hope so too! The thing is I do not plan on using any live rock in my tank ever, so I certainly hope it does not hinder my anemone from thriving.
For what it's worth, before "live rock" was the "in thing" in marine tanks, we kept many types of corals and anemones alive and well. The key is lighting and water quality and not what kind of rocks and decor (acceptable ones of course) you have in your tanks.
Being a former Live Rock distributor, I know that you are correct that many unwanted organisms can come on the rocks. If you don't want to deal with this possibility, then by all means don't use it. Your tank will not suffer because of this decision. ;)

Hope this helps...(y)

I hve this same coral can you tell me more info about it plz

image-2355919669.jpg

Attachments

• image-1672291565.jpg
    image-1672291565.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3071286038.jpg
    image-3071286038.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 65
A tank without LR is boring to me! It has way too many beneficial qualities to not have in a tank!

Any rock you put in will become live over time. And if you don't like hitchhikers, then base is ideal for you. I can understand not wanting to deal with all the things that show up on LR. There are good and bad things that tag along with LR. Either type of rock will work fine. :)

Bristol worms are a very good thing in you tank. They get a bad rap as far as I'm concerned. :) love the worms....

Back
Top Bottom