Help identify this plant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! This is actually my first post to this forum, although I've been reading discussions for a long time! I recently started planting my tank- no more fake plants for me! So far I have some Wisteria all along the back and corners of my tank, and just got these two new purple leaved plants. The guy at my lfs told me their name (I know I should have looked it up before but, I didn't...) anyway- this plant is not what they told me. I think it's something called Alternanthera reineckii aka ''roseafolia''. Can anyone confirm this for me? I attached a pic below..thanks! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397592554.721565.jpg

Also any advice for my newly planted tank would be wonderful, as I am new to live plant ;)

I am fairly certain you are correct about the reinekii. It's a higher light fairly difficult plant to grow.

Hello and Welcome to AA!, as previously stated you are correct it can be grown in low tech tanks but its red colors really come out in high tech tanks.

I am currently using the Aqueon 48" LED light strip. I have one "colormax" LED and one "bright white" LED strip in the unit so far, with another colormax strip being shipped to my house by tomorrow :) I called Aqueon an that combination of lights is rated to 45PAR for that depth of tank (minus a little towards the end because I have a rather long, odd shaped tank). According to my research, when I have all of the lights in place, I will have "moderate lighting". Do you think that will be enough to support this plant? I am fertilizing one per week with API leaf zone as well. Thanks again!

I'm running the same light on my 29 tall, I would give it low med light at best.. It has brought the reds out in a crypt and some rotala so you may be ok with it; )

Thanks for the info! Do you use any CO2 in your tanks?

That looks more like ludwigia glandulosa to me. Its kinda hard to tell from the pic but does it have alternating leaves or do they go up in pairs along the stem?

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397616473.182018.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397616501.704261.jpg

It looks like pairs I think? I took two new pictures of a different group of them. The ones sprouting out of the top especially look like pairs, but more mature leaves are close, but not exactly the same placement on the stem ...

I just saw another picture of this plant on Live Aquaria ...it looks like ludwigia glandulosa. It even has the same twisty stem and colors (although mine are more faded). What would be the best way to keep these guys healthy and thriving? Online recommends CO2, iron fertilizer, and trace elements? Along with high lighting...

Yup that's glandulosa. The paired leaves like on a.reineckii are across from one another rather than in a staggered pattern.

Yes as with most red plants, they do best with regular ferts, co2, and high light. This plant in particular can be kinda finicky and will shed leaves when unhappy, but I have seen people have success with it in medium-ish light and decent fert/co2 availability.

I am using API Leaf Zone for a fert- recommended by my lfs (read some mixed reviews, but thought I'd give it a try). I have a pretty heavily stocked tank, so how would adding CO2 affect my fish that already produce CO2? Also, can I use the liquid CO2 instead of getting a system for adding it (or making a DIY one)

The amount of co2 produced by fish is negligible at best. You could dose Excel/glutaraldehyde as a co2 substitute. It's cheaper initially so it's usually a more attractive option for people. When dosed per the directions it shouldn't have any negative effect on the fish. There are some plants sensitive to excel like vals.

So Excel isn't CO2, exactly...right? But you can use that in combination with fertilizer as an alternative correct? Thanks for all your help everyone! I am a total live plant newb ;)

Back
Top Bottom