Help identifying plants please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bfunk89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,
The mr. and I have recently decided to upgrade our crystal red shrimp from a 5gal to a fluval ebi 7.9gal. Before they had a pretty boring tank with just some driftwood and grass so we went and got some new plants to plush up the new tank. The problem is the store didn't have any tags for the Plants and the people didn't know much about them and now aside from my Anubis and Sword that ive had dot a while we have no idea what the others are! Any help identifying them would be excellent!

There is four plants out of the six that we dont know. Along the back is a delicate poofy red/green plant that somewhat resembles lakeweed, on the right in front of the filter is a fern ish looking one that reminds me of a monkey tree (haha), then in front of the sword on the left is a purpley green leafy one, and beside it a veregated broad leaf something. No idea what any of those four are called and id like to find out more about them. We got too excited and bought them without research first, oopsies!

We're anxiously waiting for the tank to be stable enough for our picky babies, right now there are just a couple ottos and a ramshorn snail scooting around.

Thank you in advance!
Bri

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 94
Hi. That one on the left looks like a purple waffle which is only semi aquatic. The one in the center with the small stems looks like a type of ribbon dracaena, another semi aquatic. I'm not sure what that is on the right, but in the back right I see a bunch of anacharis stems.

I agree with Jeta. The front right looks like an anubia to me and the back left looks like a sword. Everything should do well with exception of the two semi-aquatic plants that were mentioned. If that is a sword, it will eventually outgrow your tank.

Thanks guys!

Semi aquatic huh, well that was nice of them to sell them as aquarium plants. They were fully submerged at the store. Oh well I guess I'll take them out, too bad I liked the colour variety!

Yeah the one in the front attached to the driftwood is an Anubias and the back corner is a Sword. So I guess the only one left nameless is the delicate red/green lakeweed type plant in the very back.

Any suggestions on plants that I could replace the semi-aquatics with and still get a bit more colour into the tank?

The sword should spread out nicely once it's in your tank a bit. If you take the non-aquatics out, I probably wouldn't get anything too large to replace them..Chainsword is a good suggestion!

Yeah I was thinking of keeping to some low growing stuff to give a bit more room seeing as my back cover is all fairly tall. I really like the Riccia Fluitans, I've been looking everywhere for it, but I think I'll have to get it online. The Pygmy Chainsword is nice too. I was also contemplating a bronze crypt wendtii, Nymphaea zenkeri (or Stellata) or Dwarf Baby Tears. Thank you for your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom