help identifying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandyn85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there I have a bunch of these white pineapple shaped things growing in my tank. I'm not sure what they are (i read they might be a type of sponge?) and my concern is they are multiplying rapidly. Not only are they all over the rock but my overflow has a bunch of them. Any help would be much appreciated. Also I just had my water tested and i'm not sure what the exact parameters are but the guy at the fish store said they were prefect. Sorry for the poor quality photos

Attachments

• PicsArt_1352599689817.jpg
    PicsArt_1352599689817.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 72
  • PicsArt_1352599509931.jpg
    PicsArt_1352599509931.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 82
They are sponges - harmless filter feeders. You can manually remove them with tweezers if you don't want them in your tank, but they are somewhat beneficial, and most reef tanks have them. I myself have dozens and dozens of them in my reef.

They only seem to grow in shady areas in my tank. If they're growing in the light, may be time to change bulbs IMO.

I get some in light but the majority of mine grow in the cracks and crevices in the shade as well.

Back
Top Bottom