Help IDing a plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samphotog

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys! I have a plant that I have no idea what it is. I just removed it from my aquarium because I think it might be dying. I'm not sure if its rotting or if its the type that gets the brownish/reddish coloration. Can anybody identify it so I can find out if this is what it's supposed to be doing? It one of the ones from those seed packs they sell at pet stores. Thanks!

image-3273349345.jpg

It looks like a type of crypt. Sometimes crypts melt away and then come back.

Hey guys! I have a plant that I have no idea what it is. I just removed it from my aquarium because I think it might be dying. I'm not sure if its rotting or if its the type that gets the brownish/reddish coloration. Can anybody identify it so I can find out if this is what it's supposed to be doing? It one of the ones from those seed packs they sell at pet stores. Thanks!

Cryptocoryne wendtii I believe.

Better guess than I have haha. I can't seem to find the packaging. It had a list of the possible plants. It was for like 5 bulbs I think but there were 7 and 3 have grown. The others I removed since they had not sprouted and became squishy (rotted) I'm heading to the gym but ill look around for it when I get back. Thanks for your help!

Okay I haven't looked for the package yet but apparently they have Waterlily, onion, and Aponogeton in them

I was going to say that Crypts are bulb plants but since you found the package you already see that. Honestly right now its hard to say but my best guess is that is a type of Aponogeton.

I'm thinking maybe aponogeton crisp us red? Though I'm still not 100% sure if its gaining a reddish hue or dying. It's seems to be growing pretty fast though

Can we get some more pictures? It's a bit difficult to ID the plant from the bottom. Also, can you get a close up of the base of the plant? If you can move those roots away, that would be helpful.

I'm pretty sure the previous posters nailed it when they said Aponogeton sp. I think those bulbs are some kind of hybrid, so getting the exact species might be futile.

I think so too. I was just trying to figure out if it's melting or if it's leaves are meant to be like that

Turning dark red can be a sign of nitrate deficiency, but that's not something you see often in aponogetons, especially not in younger ones like that. It could be melting, depending on your tank setup, or it might just be normal progression. You may just have to give it time to get into the swing of things.

Some Aponogetons are naturally brown, and that plants looks fine. Aponogeton growth comes from the bulb, so the size of the bulb will determine the size of the plant. As it grows beyond that and creates a new bulb, the size, if it is one that goes dormant and reemerges, will be determined. It can actually be smaller the second time.

Aponogeton, from the little pack.

In the ones I have also from almost a couple years, the leaves turn a color like yours too and the brand new growth is bright green same as yours.

Is there something eating your new leaves?

No I've removed it from the tank cause I didn't want it rotting in there so it's separate. It's possible the gourami were pecking at it while it was in the tank though. They can't leave plants alone.
Fortunately it's mostly my anacharis which has quadrupled in size since I've bought it a few weeks ago. It grows too fast for them to destroy. I've cut it in half 3 times and it's ready for a 4th. I've got two plants that are the same size as the one I originally bought and one that's twice the size since it needs a cutting.

Try feeding them a small piece of blanched kale or spinach leaf. If they like it just extra nibbles of some greens may make them happy. Or a little chunk of Hikari Algae wafer, every few days.

Try feeding them a small piece of blanched kale or spinach leaf. If they like it just extra nibbles of some greens may make them happy. Or a little chunk of Hikari Algae wafer, every few days.

I think you got the wrong thread...

Back
Top Bottom