Help!!! Is my fish sick?? (Freshwater Tire-Track Eel)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlugGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I have a 10 gallon long and a tire-track eel in it. His eyes look cloudy, and he seems to have white spots on his face. What should I do, and/or is this just what they look like? Here is a pic of him. He has just been sitting in there the last couple days. :(
(sorry, the pic is sideways)

Attachments

• 20170501_224253.jpg
    20170501_224253.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 136
I'm not sure if it's sick, because I do not think that is a tyre track eel...

I'm not sure what it is, possibly a young American eel?

Either way, it should not be in a 10g tank, as it'll rapidly outgrow that and if it is sick, the stress of being in too small a tank won't be helping it.

I'm assuming it came from a pet store that didn't tell you (if they thought it was a TT) that it'd grow to over 3 feet long, and need a minimum 130g tank?

An American eel is no better, hey get equally as big (male/female depending).

How long have you had it? Sick or not, you may wish to return it, although personally I'd try getting it healthy first.

Since we don't know what the issue is, for now I'd say 30% daily water change to keep the water pristine and see if any symptoms develop/go away.

I'd like to change my previous statement slightly.

After having another look, I'd say it's a Bichir eel, although I don't know them well enough to narrow down exact type.

These can range in size from 10 inches to nearly four foot long once grown.

You may wish to find out what kind it is.

I'd like to change my previous statement slightly.

After having another look, I'd say it's a Bichir eel, although I don't know them well enough to narrow down exact type.

These can range in size from 10 inches to nearly four foot long once grown.

You may wish to find out what kind it is.
Thanks! He is doing better now, and that makes me mad- I specifically asked if he could be in that small of a tank, and they said he was fine.
I will definitely have to look into that kind of eel though.

I actually just looked it up, and found that he is a "rope fish" or a "reed fish". But yes, I may actually return him to my LFS because my tank is too small. Thank you for the help!

Well done :) I figured Bichir, didn't get the type though so good job on tracking him down :)

Also, you could always get a couple betta for the 10g and get the eel a bigger tank ;) lol.
Unfortunately, as he can get to 3 feet long, he needs a 150g minimum...

Glad he's looking better. Good luck.

Thanks again, and yeah, I really doubt I would be allowed to git that into my budget :) I am planning to return him on thursday and get a few Kuhli Loaches instead, as they can do fine in that size tank.

Do you already have something else in there you're just looking for a bottom-fish to go with, or do you just really like the eel look?

Simply because Kuhli will stay hidden quite a bit, although when they do come out they're awesome :) and because the bioload is so small, you could have another fish in there.

Definitely a reedfish, my lfs have some teeeeny tiny baby ones & I was so tempted to get one but I have too many substrate fish at the moment! The illness looks like whitespot to me, & one of the causes of whitespot is stress (ie, being in such a small tank).
I have 5 Kuhli loaches in a 121 UK gallon tank & it's so cool to see them come out with the lights on. They really need a 20 gallon tank as a minimum though... They won't be happy in a 10 gallon. My 5 were in a 27 gallon before I got my big tank & they would come out but only after the lights had gone off, which is their normal behaviour, but they're so much happier in the bigger tank & now they come out while the lights are on.
With such a small tank I'd just stick with the Betta sorority or you'll get very overstocked very quickly.
All the best! If you've got any questions feel free to ask ☺️?

Back
Top Bottom