Help: Is This Tank Ready to Blow Its Seal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I noticed that one of my tanks that's barely a month old is gathering what appears to be condensation inside a joint between the front face of the tank and the side wall.

(Maybe it's Wal-Mart's way of getting revenge for my returning of the POS noisy filter that came with the tank.)

Pictures below.

Attachments

• tankseam01.jpg
    tankseam01.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 132
  • tankseam02.jpg
    tankseam02.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 150
Toirtis said:
Perhaps not blow, but it does appear that you do have an area of less than perfect seal....it bears replacement/repair.

In related news, what do I do with 11 Neon Tetras, 5 Von Rio Tetras, 2 Geophagus Proximus, 1 Bolivian Ram, and 1 Angel Fish, and 1 Plecostamus while I return the tank? I suppose they might be able to behave in my 10 gallon or a 5 gallon bucket for an hour or so. (And, yes, those fish are all young. I don't have a 6" Angel Fish hanging out with an 18" Plecostamus.)

Well, in order to save not only your fish but also preserve as much aged tank water as possible I would invest in a large garbage can (or 2). THat way you can clean both thoroughly and then siphon water from the tank into the containers -- the fish, your substrate and filter materials can all then be maintained in the aged water and you will have it all ready to re-fill the new tank you bring back home :wink: Plus the darkness of the container (vs the clear glass of the small tank) and the size of the container will help to keep any in-fighting to a minimum and reduce the stress on the fish..

A while ago, I noticed that Home Depot was selling big 20-something gallon tubs for about $7. I'll probably pick up one of those. (The tank's a 29 gallon tank.)

Thanks for the suggestion.

similar seal problem

My new-used 29 gallon aquarium has some similar looking condensation on the inside of two of the seals. I have read up on instructions for re-sealing an aquarium but since you don't actually seperate the pieces of glass, how can this solve the problem of condensation inside the joint??? My tank has been holding water without leaks for a long time, so does it really need repair? And would I be able to only repair the two joints that are affected?

Assuming you plan to return the tank, would it be at all feasible to go ahead and buy a new tank, bring it home, make the switch, then return the now empty one and get your money back?

Back
Top Bottom