Help I've lost three swordtails in one day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samak85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello guys
I have a 30g tank with six swordtails, two mollies and a gourami.
I purchased two angelfish two days ago and everything was fine, till i found a dead swordtail when i woke up this morning, and two others were just laying on the bottom of the tank.
It was only a matter of an hour till the second one died and the third followed after couple of hours. Now I noticed that the other three are acting really strange, they are swimming unbalanced, some times just moving in their place, swimming up and down really fast, bumping to the glass and one of them just started laying on the ground like the other ones that died earlier.
Pls advise what should I do? Is it something that the angels brought to my tank?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry, forgot to mention that all the other fish are acting normally, only the swordtails are showing the symptoms

Do you have test for water parameters?
Results would be helpful if possible.(ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)
How long has tank been running?
Are the swords male?
Unlikely a disease brought in by angels from symptoms reported.
If you do not have test available ,then change water.
50% today and again tomorrow.

First tip: Test your water. Maybe do a water change.

How long have you had the swordtails? And how long has your tank been set up? The swords could be fighting if they are all males. I made the mistake of buying all male platys and they all fought. I had to take them back. The angel could have possibly brought something in your tank. But it would be impossible to tell and is unlikely. Maybe the angel fish is stressing them out or they are stressing each other out. If you have a QT tank maybe put him in there and see if everything quiets down.

I had a fish that was frantically swimming up and down the sides of my tank. I thought he was ok and just being weird. But then he ended up dead.

Check your water, maybe take the angel out, and do a water change. I hope your fish get better.

Thanks guys
Unfortunately i don't have a test kit for the water but i did a water change the day before i brought the angels, then did another today when i saw this problem.
The dead swords are 2 males and 2 females, the other one also died. Still have a pair
The tank has been set for almost three years and never had such a problem.
Anyway thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Sad to inform you that I lost the fifth fish. Still have one pregnant female and still no clue what's going on.

That's so weird. Do you live next to a LFS? They will test the water for free. It may be worth the trip. So sorry about your fish. That's just too bad. Maybe a small disease got into your tank and wiped them out. It's hard to say really. If you've has the swordtails for awhile maybe it was just their time. It's odd that they would all die within such a short time span tho.

Sad to inform you that I lost the fifth fish. Still have one pregnant female and still no clue what's going on.

This might be the key. I had 6 sword tails (2 Females and 4 males). My one female kill off all the others. She is now living with my much larger cichlids.

If it s a disease then look hard at columnaris.
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
There aere at least 4 different strains so don't be fooled if the spots or patches don't match or their are no spots or visual signs until near death(4 th strain)...
Kannaplex and furan I believe the link will suggest.
Good luck.
Such quick deaths would be all the convincing I need to treat.

That's so weird. Do you live next to a LFS? They will test the water for free. It may be worth the trip. So sorry about your fish. That's just too bad. Maybe a small disease got into your tank and wiped them out. It's hard to say really. If you've has the swordtails for awhile maybe it was just their time. It's odd that they would all die within such a short time span tho.

Unfortunately nobody takes this hobby seriously where i live. I am outside the US. I even struggle to find the fish themselves. Anyway i have the swordtails from a long time, they are all sisters and brothers and were bred by me. Maybe if they were born at the same day they must die at the same day too :what:

This might be the key. I had 6 sword tails (2 Females and 4 males). My one female kill off all the others. She is now living with my much larger cichlids.

I really don't know what's happening, but they have been together for more than two years.

If it s a disease then look hard at columnaris.
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
There aere at least 4 different strains so don't be fooled if the spots or patches don't match or their are no spots or visual signs until near death(4 th strain)...
Kannaplex and furan I believe the link will suggest.
Good luck.
Such quick deaths would be all the convincing I need to treat.

I really thank you and yes this might be the case. I'm going to go with the salt solution since I can't get any of the medications mentioned in the article. I don't know how to thank you sir. You really are a kind person.

Unfortunately nobody takes this hobby seriously where i live. I am outside the US. I even struggle to find the fish themselves. Anyway i have the swordtails from a long time, they are all sisters and brothers and were bred by me. Maybe if they were born at the same day they must die at the same day too :what:

Ohhh. I see. That sticks. :/ Maybe it would be worth it to order a test kit online. I guess that would make since. I'm sorry about your fish tho. I hope it does not happen again.

Ohhh. I see. That sticks. :/ Maybe it would be worth it to order a test kit online. I guess that would make since. I'm sorry about your fish tho. I hope it does not happen again.

I already did, it will arrive after a month or so. Thank you all guys for being so kind.

I had the same issue as you for real.
Think my swords have a problem? - Aquarium Forum
It was a couple years ago with my own 2-3 year old swords.
Look for potassium permanganate .
The PP may be available to you for water treatment as I got mine from a hardware store!
Good luck with your swords(the thread is all about my beloved swords)..
Heres a link on PP
http://www.jackmcneary.com/html/potassium_permanganate_.htm

Taken from
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/potassium-permanganate
Both good reading and cured my columnaris without antibiotics

I had the same issue as you for real.
Think my swords have a problem? - Aquarium Forum
It was a couple years ago with my own 2-3 year old swords.
Look for potassium permanganate .
The PP may be available to you for water treatment as I got mine from a hardware store!
Good luck with your swords(the thread is all about my beloved swords)..
Heres a link on PP
http://www.jackmcneary.com/html/potassium_permanganate_.htm

Taken from
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/potassium-permanganate
Both good reading and cured my columnaris without antibiotics

Really thanks my friend, very useful. I've read your post and it's pretty the same symptoms and deaths, I already applied salt to the tank but I am very worried about the pleco. I will try to arrange some potassium permanganate if possible and I really could use some help by the dosage when I do. I really thank you for your kindness and concern, and I am so sorry for your previous loss, but happy that you figured it out. It's a great experience at all. Also I noticed how ethically you acted when you had the problem which is a sign of professionalism. Great respect for you sir.

Thank you for the kind words.
I do really care about all animals in our charge.
We can get it right if we keep communicating and sharing.
Here's the best info on how to mix;
BIDKA The British And International Discus Keepers Association - library, Potassium Permanganate
Another great read!

Being in a total different country and culture ,if you find any info you think is good I would appreciate it if you passed it back!
Good luck with your swords I do miss mine still, but am still being worked over way to hard by my GBR breeding!

I began to see very tiny white spots on the last swordtail female. The are very small and look like they are hanging on the tail from the outside, but she seems fine physically. I added 1.5 teaspoon of salt for every 5 gallons about 2 days ago, maybe the salt is the reason or she is catching the disease too?

Please i need some advice. This is all what I could get when I asked for potassium permanganate. I bought because it's violet just like PP and says that it's anti-fungi, but not precisely for columnaris. Is this the cure?
Thank you so much

Edit: i found that caliumper manganat is actually potassium permanganate but in another language. I wish it helps me

Attachments

• 1434390399753.jpg
    1434390399753.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 1434390448928.jpg
    1434390448928.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 1434390544726.jpg
    1434390544726.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 34
Back