Help Me Convert My 36 Gallon Corner Bowfront Tank To A Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beansunited

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I am away at college and am about to head home for winter break and want to get my tank set-up with some help from a couple of christmas presents. I already have had this set-up with live rock and a couple cheap, hardy fish from the fish store for about 2 years, and returned and sold some of the fish before I went away to college. Now I want to setup my tank as reef tank since my parents have decided they missed having the tank and are willing to take care of it. The live rock is still alive and will as well as some very tiny starfish and other miscellaneous aquatic life. I am just wondering what some more experienced people here would recommend for cost efficient and quality products for my tank.

My current set-up (from memory so may not be perfect):
  • Basic Flourscent Light
  • Rena Canister Filter XP3
  • 1 Korlina Power Head
  • Heater (50 Gallon)
  • Healthy Live Rock and Sand
  • Light Timer
  • Basic Water Testing/Conditioning Supplies

To give you an idea of my tank this is a forum I found on here posted by a different user who has the same tank I have. THIS IS NOT MY TANK, just the same model.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/36-gal-corner-bow-front-130000.html

I am looking to build a relatively easy to maintain reef with a moderate amount of coral, inverts, and a couple smaller fish. I know I need to upgrade the lighting for sure, and would really like to do a LED light set-up. Does anyone have any recommendations that are not overly pricey? Also, I am wondering about a the pros of a protein skimmer and if using regular tap water (from well, not city water) with chlorine remover is ok for reef purposes? Really any advise would be appreciated. I will get my own pictures up in about 5 days when I get home from college.

If you have supplies that are used and are cheaper than buying new I am interested in purchasing equipment second hand to save some cash.

Post here or PM me, it does not make a difference to me. Even an E-mail works: benjaminoliver1994@gmail.com

If possible I would definitley look into RODI water for a reef especially if you are looking at keeping it low maintenance as you can be sure there will not be unwanted nutrients in there. a skimmer is not a neccisity on a tank that small but it will always be beneficial to have one and I would definitley say this is better than the canister filter currently on there as I understand these create alot of nitrates and phosphates so would therefore require constant cleaning or lots of water changes.

Back
Top Bottom