Help me decide which ciclids go best together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got a new 70 gallon ( I think it's actually 75 but the lady who sold it to me said 70 ) tank. I would like to make it a chiclid tank. I think I want to go central / South American since it's the same as community and I won't have to mess with ph or anything... At least that's what I heard. My substrate is play sand and I plan to have decor with hiding spots and maybe a few fake or live plants. Here is a list of the fish I like my local pet store carries, the ones with "..." After them are the ones I really enjoy. Please tell me my tank suggestions! Thanks so much! I've never had experience with cichlids.

Maisoni reef zebra ...
Jaguar managuense cichlid ...
Pseud kennyi ...
Pseud zebra blue
OB peacock
Peacock apache
Tilapia buttikofferi cichlid ...
Red spot ayassae
Yellow lab ...
Bumble bee afr cichlid ...
Milomo cichlid
Pseud sockofi ...
Hap venustus
Hap borleyi ...
Blood red parrot ...
School of tiger barbs ?
Pleco of some type ?

Thanks again!

That is a BIG stock list, do you know how much filtatfion it will take to support a stock like that?

I think your misunderstood. Of course I'm not putting all these fish in my tank! Haha. I'm just asking which ones are compatible together! :)

Don't think the previous posts writers had actually read your question.
That list is 99% African Cichlids, buffer may be required depending on your tap water ph. Stocking will depend on your filtration, though it's a good sized tank.
A quick look at the list shows only the Jaguar is Central American, the parrot is a hybrid American - no South Americans on it. The Pleco will be South American, Tiger Barbs are Asian and will get eaten by the remainder which are of African origin, so a no no. You might get away with some hardy live plants, though I'd stick to a hard scape with rocks and plastic plants, which also get destroyed at times.

Last edited:
Well now I am thinking african tank will work. However choosing a stock is so hard. I was told I would need at least 12 yellow labs?? Can't I have just one with a variety of other ciclids? It's so much to comprehend! Haha

No hap. Venustus in that tank, cool fish, but it need at least a 6 foot tank. And i would say same with the borleyi. In that tank, either do mbuna, peacocks, or MAYBE some of the smaller 5 inch haps, such as copadichromis trewavasae, or Lethrinops sp. Red Cap.

Well now I am thinking african tank will work. However choosing a stock is so hard. I was told I would need at least 12 yellow labs?? Can't I have just one with a variety of other ciclids? It's so much to comprehend! Haha
I have one yellow lab and she is at least 9-10 years old. She's always been by herself with other various mbuna. In 70 I personally would try to stay away from mixing mbuna and peacocks. A nicely stocked mbuna tank looks great IMO. Red top hongi, chalousi, and Flavus are some of my favorites but can be hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom