Help me pick out a new filter :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaclear 110 or Emperor Bio-Wheel 400?

• Emperor Bio-Wheel 400

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello;

I am going to be upgrading my current Aquaclear 70 to either an Aquaclear 110 or an Emperor Bio-Wheel 400. The Aquaclear filter has more flow capacity and I like the broad selection of media that can be put in to my current Aquaclear 70. However, I am thinking that the Bio-Wheel encorperated in to the Emperor design may give it the upper hand.

I am wondering if the Emperor filter would have the same filter media capacity as the Aquaclear models. Also, is the reduction in flow worth having a Bio-Wheel?

I am getting the impression from the descriptions I have been reading that the Emperor filters require a power head (sold separately). If that is the case, what capacity pump/power head would I require?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

IMO Biowheels are not a necessity. Replace the carbon bag in the filter with ceramic rings. As far as the emperor filters requiring a power head, I am not sure. I am a fan of the ACs. We purchased two recently and I would never use a different brand of hob filter.

Bio-Wheel = Lots of whooshing. This bothers some people and others like it so its subjective. I voted for the AC because I know you can turn the flow down on those (Correct me if I am wrong). This is important because you may find yourself with too much flow or if you someday decide to plant the tank, you'll want less flow. The emperor bio-wheel I had had no flow control...but then I had a smaller one so who knows.

how much is a emperor 400 now, $70?

i'd put the money towards a canister, lately ive been upset with my penguin 330 and 170, they get you all hyped up on how nice the bio-wheel works, go with canister filters

IMO Biowheels are not a necessity.

I'll agree completely.I have one and I have no complaints,it filters fine....but the wheel itself is just surface area...nothing more,nothing less.
There may be some benifit in a completely bare tank...otherwise go for the one with more flow and media options.

filter

I have an emperor 280 (smaller than the 400, otherwise identical) and 2 aquaclears (a 20 and a 50). I vote for the AC, no question. The emperor is good, but the AC is much more useful.

1. Both have an adjustable flow control, neither need a powerhead, and both make similar amount of "waterfall" noise.

2. The AC impeller is a bit quieter, at least on mine.

3. The bio wheel is a bit overrated. It does no better than an adequate bio filter media. The Bio Max that comes with the AC is very good.

4. The flexibility of the AC is far superior!!!! The emperor uses filter cartridges. True, you do get one empty cartridge you can put anything in, but there are only slots for two cartridges. I fill one with filter floss and use an empty from a used filter cartridge to attach a piece of coarse filter media to. The AC comes with a coarse filter sponge, Bio Max rings, and leaves you with room for filter floss too. And the design of the AC, with the filter media stacked horizontally in a basket is easier to use, IMO. Like a small cannister filter.

5. The AC is usually a bit cheaper, and the flow rate of the AC110 is higher than the emperor 400.

6. The AC seems to be the hands down favorite of most of the folk on Aquarium Advice!!!!! What better recommendation than that? LOL

Bottom line, I like the ACs. Except for the extra wide tank lip on my Oceanic 30 gal cube that won't fit an AC, I would use nothing else. BTW, the 30 gal cube will accept an emperor 280. It works well, but, I would replace if I could.

AC all the way! The new bio bag they put in the filters is better than a bio wheel IMO. Always had AC's, never had an issue. Very easy to clean both the filter and the propeller

It was not disregarded but the poster asked specifically about the two hob filters in question. If the tank is 55 gal+ then definately go with a canister. But between the two options given, the AC is the way to go.

given that he was considering a emperor 400, if he wants to use the emp 400 on a 20 gal (like his info says) he might as well dish out the same amount of cash on a canister

personally, unless you have goldfish, i'd think the massive emp 400 is an overkill

It is going to be quite a bit more money to purchase a canister. Remember, he lives in Canada. An XP1 is $120 whereas an AC 110 is $80. That's a $40 difference.

dr. fosters and smith has emperor 400's on sale for 40 bux right now. also, petsmart online has the rena xp2 for 80 bux. fwiw.

Hello;

I do have a 20 gallon tank however that is not why i am buying this new filter. Well, it sort of is... I got a new 30 gallon aquarium about two months ago which is now home to my two ID sharks and 2 weather loaches. Since the kit came with a terrible filter I had to use the AC70 I had on the 20 gallon tank. I am now using two tetra(?) 20-40 filters on the 20 gallon tank which do the job but create a mess in the process along with making a whole lot of extra noise. Not to mention, you can not fit near the same amount of filter media in these 20-40 filters.

Now. Since I need a new filter for the 20 gallon and currently the AC70 is not doing as well as I hoped cleaning up the 30 gallon I have decided to kill two birds with one stone and just buy a bigger filter. Of course the new filter will go on the 30 gallon tank and the AC70 will go back on the 20 gallon.

The 20 gallon houses 3 bala sharks and one pleco (for those who may be interested).

Joe

I am actually a little surprised that the AC 70 didn't do it for you in the 30 gal?

How often do you do PWC's?

i'd think the massive emp 400 is an overkill

Not really. They are recommended for 30 gal +. A filter will lose power over time, and if you can adjust the flow it is not overkill. I always go a little higher than manufacturers rec.

imho bio wheels are great for what they do. they are a small version of a wet/dry sump. the bacteria is exposed to O2 more so then a normal filter, which inturn allows for faster growth of the bacteria.

i cannot help you on your choice, i don't have either. i would also like to add that you have very big fish in two small tanks.

2 ID sharks in a 30 gal and 3 bala sharks in a 20 gal. those tanks are way to small to house those fish.

Mike,

I do a 40% PWC every two weeks.

rkilling1,

I appreciate your concern. I am aware of the size that these fish can get and am prepared to deal with that issue as need be. In the mean time, I can not afford to buy a huge tank so I will have to make do with what I have got. I do not intend on parting with any of my fish and care for them very deeply so rest assured that they will have an appropriately sized home. At this stage of the game the 30 gallon tank meets their needs. I intend on buying bigger tanks as these guys grow then using the old tanks for smaller fish.

Bruce (one of the ID sharks) was one of the first fish I ever bought. Since he started out in a 2 gallon Walmart aquarium kit, I would say he's doing much better now.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Joe

Attachments

• 20_gallon_tank_101.jpg
    20_gallon_tank_101.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 27
  • p7190047_191.jpg
    p7190047_191.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 15
  • bruce_605.jpg
    bruce_605.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 15