HELP ME PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay last august i bought my 55gal tank and got some community fish over time, and the bigger ones kept dying (angel & Gouramis) well the Glowlights and Zebras lived and i got sick of it and gave them to my bro for his community tank. Before this my water would got all green and cloudy. Algae bloom? I did a total clean, Took out all the water and cleaned all the gravel. Then bought 2 oscars, they are still alive (thankfully) but my water is still going cloudy. So i was thinking that i might take out all my gravel and clean it, take out all the ornaments and let them live in a empty tank for about a week. to see if this might fix the problem. Any suggestions please. I am in the middle of a water change so if i do it, it's going to happen now.

Is it still a green cloudy or a milky white cloudiness?

Green = algae bloom
white= bacterial bloom

Use the search option on the forum to look for other posts dealing with each issue. I've never had those problems so I won't be much help.

I did a total clean, Took out all the water and cleaned all the gravel.

In all honesty I'm on a pretty steep learning curve myself.That being the case I've been doing a lot of reading and question asking about cycling.

In my opinion the quote above is key to your problem.Even if the tank was cycled at some point,its not now.The "total clean" removed all or almost all of the bacteria needed to deal with the bioload.

Test the water for ammonia asap and be prepared for high numbers and having to work through the cycle agian.

Someone with more experience will hopefully agree with me or teach me somthing new as well.

HTH

Well I took out about 85-90% of the gravel, did a huge water change. and took out the ornaments/plants.

My plan is that every day for the next week going to replace half the water. and after that for 1-2 week(s) do 1/4 of the water.
Then after that half the water but every other day.

I belive that if i can do this religiously it will fix it.

I will Slowly adding the ornament, gravel and plants back.

Taking out the gravel may have started your cycle over, but I'm just guessing. What are you readings??? You may have killed all of your good bacteria. Did you do any cleaning to the filter? What is your ammonia reading?

I left in enough gravel to just barely cover the bottom, and I did not change the filter. So yes I probably killed some good bacteria but it will come back fast. I was post the readings tomorrow, 1:50 am atm.

ok first. unless you have some form of bad bacterial problem. do not remove gravel. even when moving tanks long distnaces to wehre a tank has to be broken down completely, I keep the gravel under water with air stones to keep good bacteria alive.

Is the water cloudy green, or cloudy white, or perhaps, cloudy brown?

if it is cloudy green, look at tank placement, is it in direct sunlight is the main thing? perhaps you have to much artificial lighting on the tank? Green water is an algae bloom. two main ways to get rid of it. either black the tank out for a few weeks I mean NO LIGHT touches the tank. do water changes at night, with as fewlights on as possible etc etc, use a few thinck sheets, or a comfoter or somethingto cover the tank.

ifit is cloudy white, it is a bacteria bloom. let it sit, but cut back on how much you are feeding the tank. If it doesnt go away, try getting something like a freshwater clam, or some other type of filter feeder. bamboo shrimp would be good, but I am sure the oscars would kill it.

The brown only applies if you have real wood in the tank, that is caused by tannins leeching out of the wood. it is actually a good thing as far as the oscars, or angelfish would be concerned. the situation is called black water, it is very soft but acidic, very difficult for bacteria to live in that enviroment, it eases the stress on most south american fish alot, and helps to prevent diseases. I have my 29 gallon tank under this condition, You can see colors in my angels that you have enver seen before they look so happy now that I did this

Anyways, keep us updated

BTW do not do water changed over 50% unless something is seriously wrong as well i.e avoid extremes in anything. even if water params are out of whack dont do a large water change to fix them. do it gradually. say droping pH by a point every few days if that is a problem. etc etc.

Good Luck

Well if you didn't clean the filter too, you're probably okay. It is probably bloom. When I had algae bloom, a complete BLACK OUT of three days did the trick. :wink:

for a black out would wrapping a dark colour sheet around the tank do the trick?
Does it not distrub the fish?

Back
Top Bottom