Help me with these test results!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MikeyD said:
okay i would recommend a nuetral regulator. you can get it at petsmart add it into the tank its a ph buffer so whether your high or low it will maintain a 7.0 ph which is ideal. second the bacteria in a bottle does work. you need to at least let your tank run fish free for 72 hours minimum. my advice if you want a cycle fish that puts off some good ammonia get a $.13 comet at petsmart. also grab an in tank ammonia monitor so that you can tell what its at in real time theyre about 7 bucks. i have saltwater tanks now but have had many many succesful freshwater tanks. also im a marine biology major. if you have any questions feel free to pm me

Hang on...why are we adjusting pH? I agree a stable level is important, but adding chems to hit a certain level are the opposite of stable. Cycling in general wreaks havoc on pH levels...and if you're having sudden drops, buffering the water with a natural product like crushed coral can be efficient, but I strongly suggest against a product that aims for a specific pH level.

Cycling products really shouldn't all be grouped together. Some have reasonable success levels (like Tetra Safestart and Dr. Tims O&O)...but I would say the vast majority are not only useless...but can develop a dangerously unstable bio-filter.

Why sacrifice a fish to cycle a tank? There are much more humane, easier and more efficient options. If you are doing a fish-in cycle...change water. Keep toxins as low as possible until the tank cycles. Subjecting a fish (no matter it's cost) to high ammonia and no2 levels just for the sake of getting your tank cycled is cruel IMO...and also against much that this AA community stands for.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm shooting down your advice...but I strongly disagree with some of it and feel it needs to be addressed.

i dont feel that your shooting down my advice. everyone is entitled to their own opinions and recommendations.

I agree with eco about use a fish to cycle.
Already established filter media is far superior to anything you can buy in a bottle. The filter media can get the good bacteria, that produces nitrAtes, growing within a week. Bu all this should be done without fish in the tank.
But since you already have fish in your tank, make sure that both the ammonia and/or nitrItes are below 0.25ppm. Otherwise your fish will suffer from ammonia/nitrIte toxicity. Which damages tissue and can lead to a painful death.
As far as PWC's go, when your nitrItes are 0.5ppm you will need to do a 50% PWC. If it's 1.0ppm you need to do back to back 50% PWC. Changing the water won't eliminate the good bacteria since the bacteria grows in the filter & on the Decor & on the gravel surfaces. The nitrAte readings are a bi-product of that bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom