Help me!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimlor123

Aquarium Advice Regular
The majority of my tropical fish have little White specks on the fins.... Looks like tiny salt grains.... Please tell me what it is and how I can treat it??? I have a 150l tank.. With gold barbs, platies, mollies and pleco's. Help me!!!!!!!!

Jimlor123 said:
The majority of my tropical fish have little White specks on the fins.... Looks like tiny salt grains.... Please tell me what it is and how I can treat it??? I have a 150l tank.. With gold barbs, platies, mollies and pleco's. Help me!!!!!!!!

Sounds like ich. Can u post a good picture? But to treat ich. Use aquarium salt and increase ur heat to about 84F I believe. From my head I believe Ur fauna will do fine with salt treatment. :)

A lot of people here "don't like using chemicals" and thats well and fine, but mine had it pretty bad, i bought ich meds and they are perfectly healthy now.

Hubert90 said:
Sounds like ich. Can u post a good picture? But to treat ich. Use aquarium salt and increase ur heat to about 84F I believe. From my head I believe Ur fauna will do fine with salt treatment. :)

I wish I could post a pic. My fish are so friendly as soon as you go near tank there there back and forth... Not one of them will stay still. Looks like about 5 out of all my fish have it.. It looks like sand or salt on there tail fins.. Not so much on there bodies. But my shark has more, and swims upright. As in tail down head up.

What size tank and what do you have in there? How old is the tank? Is it cycled? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

To treat ich naturally:

Raise temp to 86 (slowly)

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove spore from substrate

Keep this routine for a minimum of 2 weeks even if fish appear clean

Salt and high temp work great for treating ich.

Agreed... and when the ich is gone, I would keep the temp at least 80 - 82 degrees along with maintaining the aquarium salt... For me, that works and I haven't had a breakout of ich in almost a year (when I made these changes)...

:fish2:

I keep low temps and don't use salt and haven't had a case of ich in almost 20 years. Once you get rid of it, it is gone. It won't come back unless you re introduce it. If you are going to raise the temp to 86 the salt isn't really necessary. It certainly isn't necessary to keep salt in the tank all the time.

Back
Top Bottom