HELP! Melting Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wingman-Goose

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have set up a new tank in my garage as an experiment for shrimp.

I have placed in a beta soil substrate and placed the first plants in last week. There are no shrimp or fish in the tank yet ( first going in today ). I have been dosing profito and easycarbo as advised ( easycarbo maybe a little over as it is hard to get such little amounts ).

I have a eheim diffuser and sponge filter running in the tank which is a 24"x12"x12".

The plants looked okay for a couple of days but now are starting to melt, some very quickly. I have an Arcadia stretch LED light which I run for 6-8 hours a day. The temperature is 24 degrees.

Can anyone help me as to why the plants are melting and what I can do to prevent this?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What kind of plants?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have wendtii crypts green and brown. A Nevelli crypt, stauroglyne repens and a posts-something helferi

24 degrees seems kinda cold to me.?
I can only assume this is a Celsius measurement.?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes it would be about 75 Fahrenheit

Crypts often melt when introduced to new environments. Especially if the temp is different than the previous tank.

Give them a bit, they will make a comeback.

Caleb

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446488244.581329.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446488260.116263.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446488271.180802.jpg

Will these make a comeback. Probably need more substrate on the left but it is built up to about 2" where the plants are on the right. The plants on the left have lost a lot of leaves and this is wants left and doesn't look great

I haven't put root tabs in, I was told the plants I had would not need a fertilised base or root tabs

I haven't put root tabs in, I was told the plants I had would not need a fertilised base or root tabs

Nope, I wouldn't trust them.

Crypts need root tabs to do well. I'd dare say that's why they are getting worse.

Caleb

Thanks, Any recommendations of root tabs? I will get some, what do you just sink them in near to the roots?

Thanks, Any recommendations of root tabs? I will get some, what do you just sink them in near to the roots?

You bury them as deep as possibly under the plant.

I use a DIY recipe and it has worked wonderfully. I keep lots of crypts.

Search for "Mebbids DIY root tabs" if you are interested. It's easily 1000x more cost effective than retail tabs.

Caleb

Thanks. Will those or any other tabs be safe for shrimp as I plan on breeding them in this tank.

I have heard some of the tabs have copper in them

The tabs are safe. Trace amounts of copper in fish foods and in plant Ferts are typically safe. It's the copper based fish Meds that will NUKE shrimp [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Will those or any other tabs be safe for shrimp as I plan on breeding them in this tank.

I have heard some of the tabs have copper in them

I've used those tanks in a tank with RCS and red rili with no issues.

Caleb

As stated above: it's pretty normal for crypts to melt like that when introduced to a new environment. They should grow new stems and leaves once it adjusts to the chemistry in your tank.
I'm not going to tell you that you don't need root tabs, but I have that same plant in one of my tanks and they are doing fine without them. In fact, I've greatly reduced the amount of liquid ferts I add to that tank and the crypt growth has not even slowed down. I suppose it is possible that my tap water already contains enough nutrients for some plants. Your results may vary.

Thanks for all the help. Will find some root tabs to try and see what happens. Woke up today and the crypts on the right side have now heavily melted as well. I can't see new growth but hopefully it's there

Should I keep removing dead stems etc and should I remove plants all together if all the leaves die?

Back
Top Bottom