Help mom yellow lab has spit!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmk6

Aquarium Advice Regular
She has started eatting again and I don't know if I am supposed to get her out of the tank with her fry. It is a 15 gallon with some young synodontis petricolas that will go in my 120 tank when large enough. What do I do?

Do I move her back to her home the 120 is she done raising the fry? she does not appear to be holding in her mouth now.

A lot of people say that if you don't separate the mother and the babies once she spits, then she'll eat them. In some cases that may be true, but I've spawned my electric blues and the mother is in a 30 gallon watching over her fry (about a week old now) and she hasn't eaten a single one despite the lack of hiding spots (I was going to re-scape the whole tank to make her more comfortable before she spat, but she started to spit as I removed the last rock from the tank so I just left fake plants in). Your case may be different since you're dealing with Mbuna and I, Hap. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

If I were you, I would keep her in there for at least one week to allow her to recover unless your 120 gal is under stocked, then she'd probably be fine going back in there.

EDIT: If you see her eating any of the fry or stalking them as if she's going to eat them, then remove her obviously. :)

thax 120 is boarder line over stalked. But very healthy so far. Dont know what i will do with the fry after they get older I hope to find them a home maybe keep 1. dont want any banjo music eminating from my tank.

Back
Top Bottom